Chapter 1 - Isa

As I rush through the halls to my homeroom I hear a ding in my pocket and feel a buzz. As I step into the class I pull out my phone, hiding it behind my back. I sink into my chair, apologizing profusely to my teacher, and then stealthily check my phone. It's a text from Mackwell Hamstring, my boyfriend. We've been dating for three months now and are really close. It helps that our parents are family friends. We are even all going to Japan together in the spring. The message says, "r u here yet? thinking about u", with a heart emoji next to it. I quickly respond with a thumbs-up before shoving my phone into my backpack. 

I try to listen to my teacher, whose name is Mrs. Ibbleson according to the board, but it's hard. She has an irritating way of repeating herself way too many times. I'm pretty sure that this is her 5 time talking about the two ImathIt's.

"You, did you hear that?" Mrs. Ibbleson says in her usual nagging tone, pointing at me "We have two ImathIt's due when?" 6th time.

I try to recall what day she had said all those times but blank. As I start to redden a guy with a poof of dark brown hair who sits next to me leans close to me and whispers "Friday" under his breath

"Right! Friday," I exclaim with relief, then once Mrs. Ibbleson rolls her eyes and continues ranting I turn to the guy and say "thanks" under my breath.

He just nods and looks back at Mrs. Ibbleson.

"Ok everybody, today is going to be just a chill day. You are going to partner up with your shoulder partner and do this quick assignment with your shoulder partner," Mrs. Ibbleson explains and then proceeds to repeat the instructions about 15 times. "And remember, ImathIts are due when?"

"Friday," the class says in unison, everyone using the same exasperated tone after hearing this multiple times.

"Good, now I will pass out the papers." Mrs. Ibbleson says.

The guy turns to me yet again, "I guess we're partners, huh?"

I nod, "I'm Isa by the way."

"I know. Charles Ramora." he replies with a slight nod.