Chapter 9 - Winnie

Yes, I don't eat lunch with Isa, Arcadia, and Helga. It's not like they're an anchor that i'm attached to. I think we all need a little freedom sometimes and lunch is the perfect time for that. So, I take my seat and begin to eat. I can only find a few of my friends, Emma Bornall and Kleo Radiarford. We eat in mostly silence other than chatting about our teachers and what classes we hate. For me, it's probably going to have to be science. Ms. Ibbleson is a handful.

Soon, the bell rings and I'm forced to trudge up the stairs to get to English. As I survey the classroom, I immediately notice Isa flagging me down. She's in the back of the classroom, and I wouldn't mind using my computer to hide my phone. As soon as I sink into the rocking chairs the school thought would be cooler than normal ones, I watch Charles and Mack walk into the room. I remember seeing Charles talking to Isa in fourth period. It makes me begin to laugh to myself as I remember thinking wow, he's honestly kind of ugly. Isa definitely got the better friend.

"Hey, I see you looking at them. You're not the first. That's Charles, and obviously Mack. Acadia's basically obsessed with him. I think It's a bad idea though! He seems really...I don't know, annoying?" As Isa fills me in, I can't help but agree. I mean, from the looks of him he must be a typical jock with about half a brain and a bad haircut. Soon, I realize I've been staring for too long and take out my notebook quickly.

However, I'm the only one who stops talking about him. About ten minutes later Isa looks over to where he's sitting again and begins her rant again.

"You know, his style is pretty good. And his hair isn't all that bad...maybe Arcadia is on to something!" I'm taken aback. Yes, I said girl code was overrated today already, but my situation is way different!

"Isa, you have a boyfriend. I'm sure Mack would love to hear you gushing about Charles as much as I do."

"Okay, I get it, but I can be attracted to other guys while I'm dating. I mean, Arcadia is like obsessed with Charles while Bennett is still clinging to her!" I can tell Isa is trying to make her point come across, but it's not working. Bennett doesn't count because he's like 4 feet nothing and Arcadia probably doesn't like him. Whatever. Instead of thinking about other people, I think about...someone else. Norman.