Weight Of Fear And Apology

I had just gotten down to the last floor and was about to head out when I heard someone call my name. "Uh, Layla" I turn around to see Diana.

"Yeah?" I replied.

"I heard about what happened earlier, and I'm extremely sorry for everything."

"It's not your fault, so you shouldn't apologize".

"How's your eyes now?" she asked.

"They're fine. Oh, and by the way, I already told Liam," I informed her, seeing her eyes light up with excitement.

"You did?" she exclaimed "Oh, thank you so much, Layla. You're really a great person. If you need me to do anything for you, I'll do it. Just thank you so much."

"It's okay," I paused before adding, "and also, I need you to take me to where my friends are"

"Oh, uhm, I can't, sorry," Diana hesitated.

"But you said you'll do anything I need you to, so what's the problem?"

"Uhm, it's just that Sir Liam doesn't want us to take you there without his permission."

"Why do I need permission to go out? You guys do the same, don't you?"

"Yeah, we do, but Sir Liam warns us not to let you leave the mansion without his permission."

"Well, I don't care, just take me."

"I'm sorry, but I really can't," Diana apologized once again, leaving me feeling imprisoned in a gilded cage.

"He's home right?, Why don't you tell him now?"

"Uhm. I don't think now is the best moment to do so"

"Ah, fine," I relented. I guess I'll have to sneak out then.

As I turned to leave, I accidentally bumped into a lady carrying a tray with a glass of orange juice. She recoiled in fear, apologizing profusely and hurrying away.

"What was that all about?" I asked Diana.

"It's nothing, you shouldn't worry" I watch as she plaster a fake smile on her face.

I could sense that something wasn't right, and her attempts to brush off my concerns only added to the growing tension in the air.

"What do you mean? Everyone's been acting weird since I came back," I pressed, my gaze locked onto her, demanding the truth.

"It's no big deal, you shouldn't worry," Diana replied, her voice faltering as she nervously wiped her sweaty hands on her skirt.

"Hey, tell me the truth and don't lie," I urged, my tone serious and unwavering.

She hesitated for a moment, but finally gave in. "fine. So this is what happened... the girls who blew the detergent into your eyes were extremely tortured and... they were fed alive to wild animals," she confessed, her eyes unable to meet mine as she revealed the horrifying truth.

My hands flew to cover my mouth, my whole body trembling at the cruel fate that had befallen those girls.

"That's... that's extremely ruthless. Oh God," I gasped, struggling to come to terms with the brutality of it all.

"Don't stress yourself about it, Layla. It was indeed deserving, for they shouldn't have done what they did to you. And it's also indeed surprising for Sir Liam to do such for anybody," she explained, her voice tinged with a hint of disbelief.

Confusion clouded my mind as I tried to make sense of it all. "What do you mean?"

"Well, I never expected his highness to be this mad for someone that he had to kill them in cold blood," Diana revealed, her own shock mirroring my own.