chapter 23

Wafiyah pants as she barged in the conference room, breathing heavily making everyone look at her in concern especially jungkook who was almost on his feet "I'm so sorry for being late" she apologized and went to sit beside Jia, who raises her eyebrow quizzically "Let's start" jungkook announced and the meeting began. He took a glance at here every now and then to make sure she was alright. The meeting took about an hour, they as usual discussed the company's progress and current image in market "our internees will leave us soon, I'll miss them so much" jihyun pouts. Wafiyah smiles at her childlike behavior "we will miss you too miss Jihyun, you've been a great mentor for us" mingyu says "but I'm happy that we're finally leaving " he adds looking at wafiyah who glare at him to take his words back because it was very rude "I mean we will be joining our classes again, it'll be so fun hahaha" he laughs awkwardly "let's give them a farewell party jungkook " wafiyah looked at jungkook only to find him staring back at her, in panic she leaned back "kook what do you say?" Jihyun asked again, he gulps wetting his lips "I haven't thought about that" he muttered "It will be fun come on, all of our employees and their families, your family will gather and have some good time" she insisted "No, thank you so much miss Jun we really appreciate your love but we don't want any farewell, it's not necessary don't put effort into it" wafiyah interject after hearing his family will also make appearance, she glances at mingyu who looked skeptical but nodded nonetheless "yes she's right we appreciate your unwavering care and love but let's just skip this part" he said while eyeing jungkook. Jihyun was upset about the cancelation of her idea but agreed as she didn't had any choice if the one for whom it's planned doesn't want it then why to waste time on convincing jungkook. They went back to their respective departments, Jungkook, Jia and wafiyah had to go to same floor so they were together, the elevator opened and she walked to her and jia's shared office but jungkook was quick "Miss wafiyah in my room now" she sighed its going to be another tormenting situation for her "yes sir?" She stood in the middle of office hands held together above her abdomen "why didn't you tell me ?" He asked "about what ?" She counters back confused "about the termination of internship" she shifts uneasily "Sir what was I supposed to say, we were here on contractual basis for a purpose which is going to be done soon. It was already known" wafiyah said "I don't want you to leave, I can't go back to living a life without you" she lowered her gaze at his confession "Sir please move on with your life, don't stick to something which future is uncertain" he frowns at her statement "wafiyah do you understand that I love you, why would you ask me to move on" wafiyah bites her lips gathering all her courage "because we can't be together, we aren't meant for each other. Don't waste you time and energy find someone else and" his expressions makes her stop mid sentence and in no time he was standing close to her "don't you dare to complete that sentence " he took another step toward her, the distance was almost crumbling to a level that if one of them took even a small step their noses would touch. Wafiyah couldn't let that happen so she backed away "if you dont have any work to assign I should leave" jungkook was angry and hurt he wasn't letting her go without coming to a conclusion "No one is leaving through that door until I say so, what is the reason for your constant rejection when I know you love me" He inquired looking straight into her eyes, which she adamantly avoided looking at "I can't go against my faith to follow my desires, I've already disappointed Allah so much that there's this emptiness in me and I'm afraid it will stray me away from him. I thank you for considering me worthy of your affection and love but we can't continue to walk on path with no destination" she says firmly without stuttering or intimidated, her eyes had different energy they weren't timid like usual, they stroke and looked resolute "if we're meant for each other, Allah will unite us but if not then please move on be happy and successful in your life, know that you'll always be in my prayers" jungkook breath was stuck in his throat, his heart felt so heavy he doubted if it was beating. Wafiyah had to put a disguise on because breaking down right now after gathering all of her courage to speak up will go in vain. She had to put an end before it gets worse, after giving him last look she turned to leave the room and didn't spare glance as she opened the door and walked out. she felt that someone was there and it only confirmed when the elevator was closing, showing a figure inside but she couldn't see his face. For the rest of day she thought of all possibilities of who could it be and why did they escape as she came out of jungkook's office "Ya Allah what have I gotten myself and people around me into, I'm so ashamed please forgive me" she says in her heart because Allah hears and listen to the most silent thought of a person he's aware of what we think, say or do.
Mingyu was speeding off on his bike, the roads were almost empty at this late hour. He didn't know where he was going, just letting his instincts to lead the way until he stopped at the han river. The full moon shone bright on the water making it look so exquisite, he parked his bike and walked toward the shore. He didn't care about ruining his suit, his coat was discharged lying beside him on the wet sand, his sleeves rolled up, first few buttons of his shirt undone. He wanted to erase the scene from his mind, he wished he didn't went to jungkook's office and accidentally over heard their conversation. He sighs tiredly taking the box of cigarettes out from his pocket and let the smoke burn him even more, he knew jungkook had feelings for her it was quite obvious but knowing that wafiyah too felt the same way was like a thunderbolt. His mind wandered to their conversation when she apologized to him, now it made sense why she said that because she pitied him for not reciprocating his feelings. The burn he was getting from smoke was nothing in front of what his heart felt at the moment, he laid on the sand staring at the pitch black sky decorated with stars and moon, it seemed like they were pitying him too. Mingyu laid there reminiscing all moments they have spend together so far, the moments when she had feelings for jungkook but he was oblivious, the moments he tried to confess his feelings but she would reject. Even the memories were burning him from insides,  he wanted nothing more than getting rid of it. Will the river wash away everything that was hurting him? He thinks to himself. He wanted to give it a try, throwing the almost finished cigarette, he made an attempt to get up but the notification on his phone distracted him. He grabbed it from where it was lying and scoffed in disbelief, a message from wafiyah, before he could stop himself his finger had already tapped on it