chapter 33

Jungkook was sitting across imam with partially closed eyes, he was having hard time to keep them open. In front of them were different food lying on table waiting to be eaten "imam sahib are you sure that we'll be eating this food at this hour" imam smiled "yes Jungkook, it's called sahoor we have to eat before Fajr prayer come on now start with  بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم " he nodded and repeats after him. If he knew that they will be eating at this hour he would've skipped dinner as his stomach was already full with the last meal "this is just a practical example Jungkook of what Muslims must do, it's one of the pillar of Islam. The concept of fasting is to realize the blessings we have been given which we take for granted. We realize their importance and their worth, it is to develop the understanding of what a poor has to go through the whole year while we live in our mansions in oblivion" he gazed at imam listening as if in some trance "this understanding lead to emotions like empthy which ultimately minimizes the gap between the rich and poor emotionally and encourage you to give from your wealth to help those in need" imam put some rice in his plate. He starts eating processing the information, the concepts behind each obligation fascinated him "and your Arabic pronunciation is getting better Jungkook, I think you are ready to start quran" jungkook was shook "don't tell me really?" He was wide awake "yes really" he claps his hand "I should tell wafiyah about it she'll be so- " the imam cuts him mid sentence "Ahn Ahn, calm down remember you promised" Jungkook pouts "imam sahib it's been forever since I listened to her voice, let me talk for once" "we said we'll keep it halal right, so keep up your hardwork in the end she will be yours inshaAllah but for now unless it's very important you won't talk to her" he wanted to throw tantrum, in his mind he was but he couldn't do it in front of imam what will he think of him otherwise. Imam told him to refrain from interacting and meeting her unnecessarily just like how a good Muslim should, this way Allah will reward his efforts and put barakah in his life and hard work "Allah please give me strength" imam laughs at him and both continue to finish their sahoor then both performed ablution to pray, jungkook asked if it was okay to join them in congregation and imam gladly allowed him. The feeling was very different from when he prayed alone, this was very intimidating and powerful, the energy he felt around him was unusual. After performing Salah, he revised his Quran lesson and then went home as it was weekend. Imam had guided him about the do's and dont's which he memorized. He woke up around 11 in the morning and did his morning routine, then as usual he went to kitchen and took the bottle of water, as soon the bottle touched his mouth he realized he was fasting and immediately dropped  it on the floor "oh God that was a close one" he laughs at himself for forgetting about the fast, to kill time he went to his office and indulged himself in work for some time which was a productive distraction until his stomach started to growl, he tried to not pay any mind to it and kept himself busy hoping it'll stop but the boy was wrong, it only got worse as more hours passed. He got a bit uneasy so he decided to call imam and tell him his situation, the phone rang for some time then he heard a very energetic voice from other side "jungkook I was about to call you" he frowns "how are you so energetic aren't you fasting sheikh?" The said man laughs at his response "so what" "I feel like it's my last day, my stomach is growling as if the wolf in me is trying to shift into his form and my mouth is dry. There's barely any energy in me sheikh. Am I doing anything wrong?" He rants out "no dear you're doing great, it's your first experience that's why you feel all of these. I've been doing it since my teenage, I'm used to this that's why I'm energetic" he explained "this is hard" he complained again sighing at his fate "it's just new my dear, if it was hard and impossible for us Allah wouldn't have imposed it on us, it's just a test to see who is patient and you jungkook can pass it without a doubt" he smiles weakly, imam never missed any chance to encourage him and appreciate his effort to which he was grateful "I'll try my best" "if you're free then read the translation of Quran and maybe go through your lesson, these are the most ideal deeds to do while you fast" he suggests "you're right I'll do that and thank you sheikh" "No problem at all feel free to call me if you need any help" "sure" he hung up and did what the imam suggested to him.
Jungkook went to buy some take out for his iftar and he bought way too much for a single person because rightnow it was the beast in him who had to be fed. He was driving back to his apartment when his gaze fell on a homeless man sitting across the street and suddenly everything imam had said this morning came rushing in his mind, he hasn't eaten for few hours but how many people are out there who didn't get to eat food for days but they are living in their luxuries without any care. He felt ashamed when he looked at the food lying beside him so he drove his car toward the man and took a few item of his food to the man whose eyes widened at the sight of it "i-is this for me?" He inquired "yes it's for you" the man hurriedly took out the boxes and started devouring sighing and moaning at the taste. Even though he was fasting but seeing this man eat with joy made his heart full. He felt happiness rush throughout his body, he was blessed and that moment of realization made him Thank God for thousand times. He stood there for some time "is that enough or do you want more?" The man halts, looking at him "do you have more?" He smiles and walk to his car taking out the other items as well "here eat as much as you want" the man eyes teared up as he grabbed the plastic bag "thank you, thank you so much sir, I wish that you never see a bad day in your life thank you for feeding me" jungkook nods and went back because the time of Maghreb was about to commence. He warmed up the leftover rice and stew from last night and as soon the time entered he broke his fast and at that moment he was the most grateful for all blessings he was given, his heart was content. He learned that Fasting is the best way to keep you close to humanity and God, he was thankful to imam for making him experience such a beautiful moment of his life.
Jungkook sighed umpteenth time,leaning back in his chair, swirling round lazily. He was on verge of breaking his promise with imam, it's been weeks now yet he didn't talk to her and his patience was running out "God I was been good these days aren't I please just once, let me hear her voice at least" he prayed, above that the weather made him miss her even more, the dark clouds were covering the sky it would rain any minute now. He was busy admiring the scenes when his phone rang "asalamualikum sheikh" he chimes "walikum asalam jungkook how have you been?" "I'm fine" "that's good so tomorrow there's this gathering in our mosque like a feast, so I wanted to invite you can you take out some time" "how can I refuse your invitation imam sahib, I'll be there" "Good tomorrow after asr prayer be on time okay" "okay see you tomorrow".
Wafiyah was cleaning up their room, Selena was out with her friends so she thought it's better to be productive. She washed the bathroom and then took shower, the rain started pouring down grabbing her attention. She stood in the window admiring it, suddenly her thoughts ran back to that night when she was stuck in office, her train of thoughts was interrupted with a loud bang. She didn't flinch because by now she was used to Selena entering into room as if trying to escape from a serial killer "guess what?" Selena chimes throwing her purse on the bed "woah did you clean the room, I almost didn't recognize it's ours" wafiyah give her 'so done' look "what happened why are you so excited?" She asked, Selena extends an envelope toward her "it's for you, the girl we met in itaewon gave me this. She said that we're both invited" her eyes lit up "we'll definitely go there" "I have a commitment wafiyah, I won't accompany you this time I'm sorry" "what? I need you please it'll be fun we will enjoy there Sela and there will be free food too" "sorry babes I would love to go there but I've to meet the guy I met in jeju remember" she gasps "Astagfirullah where are you meeting him?" Selena winks at her "it's just a small date nothing big" "y-you'll come back after dinner right?" She hoped that the answer would be yes, she knew Selena wasn't Muslim and that she could do anything she wanted to, and it's not that she ever forced her into anything weather it be Islamic beliefs or actions but it didn't mean she couldn't desire for her friend to be guided. Selena looked at her because the answer wasn't what wafiyah would like to hear but that's exactly why she was meeting the guy in first place. There was a long pause as both looked at each other and wafiyah wasn't dumb to not interpret her hesitancy, she nodded and tied her hair into a messy bun looking around to find some task so the awkward silence will end. She put the invitation card in her bag and gathered her books to study for a while soon both got busy in their own way and no one talked about the matter again.
The patios were filled with men women and kids, the loud chattering could be heard as soon she stepped in the mosque, immediately bringing a smile on her face. She met Sara the girl who gave Selena the invitation card on the entrance "oh asalamualikum wafiyah, so glad to see you here Selena didn't make it?" "Walaikum asalam, she had other commitment that's why" Sara nodded and both went inside "I'll join you soon" Sara excused herself and went in another direction, she wasn't used to go anywhere alone so righnow she was feeling a bit out of it, Selena was her medicine to social anxiety sighing in despair she walked in further. The kids were running around playing tag, she stood in a corner to watch them which was actually delightful, she would laugh at their goofiness and when they would cheat to save themselves from penalties. When the last kid to be tagged was left, ran toward her direction to escape from the other boy, suddenly she was in the middle with one boy grabbing her Abaya hiding behind her while the other was in front of her, she would lose balance every time they would move making it difficult for her to stand straight "Noona save me from him" the boy screamed "No noona get aside you can't help him" the situation was getting intense "I'll fall if you guys don't stop rightnow " she tried to protest but it was of no help "Noona stay still " "but you're not letting me " she complained at the boy's persistent requests. It wasn't even a minute when she felt the grip on her Abaya lose she thought the boy ran in other direction but she was wrong "here tag him" the boy was pushed forward in the hands of catcher "Hyung why would you cheat " wafiyah eyes widened because the man who cheated was no other than jeon jungkook "everything is fair in war and love" he shrugs "thanks hyung" he tagged the boy and took him with him to where rest of kids were waiting "speaking of love, what a pleasant surprise wafiyah" it was hard for her to believe that it was jungkook but what was he doing in a mosque "what are you doing here?" She voiced her thoughts out "aren't you happy to see me here" he asks "I'm serious jungkook what are you doing here" jungkook didn't want to bust the surprise so he had to cover up for it "I'm also serious" her confused eyes look at him "I saw you coming in here so I followed you in, I was here for a meeting" she blinked having hard time to believe him "do we have any problem here?" They look at the intrusion "is this man bothering you?" Imam asked making him doubt the man he is seeing in front of him "oh no imam sahib, h-he's an acquaintance" jungkook snapped his head toward her, are these two people abandoning him like they doesn't know him "oh I see, I haven't seen you here before" imam smiles politely while asking her "I've come here a few times, I study in Seoul so it's not possible to come here everyday but I've attended a few sermons" jungkook stood there forgotten as if he was invisible to them, maybe he was getting punished for cheating with that kid he thought to himself "wafiyah, when you're free come inside I'll be there" sara yells over the noise, she acknowledged by bobbing her head. Imam was taken by surprise he looked back and forth between jungkook and her, a knowing smile formed on his face "I also want to volunteer imam sahib" she requests "sure come this way" "and I want to volunteer too" jungkook quickly added "go to the men's side" he frowns "why I want to go with you" wafiyah was utterly confused by his presence and behavior "I've to entrust her to someone then I'll come to you" imam says and leave along wafiyah. He took her in where other volunteers were and introduced her to one "Afrah, she wants to volunteer too could you please tag her along and guide her" the said girl shakes hand with wafiyah "sure, it'll be a pleasure" he leaves "what's your name?" "Wafiyah Ahmad" "so wafiyah where are you from ?" She asks and grabbed a box handing it to her "I'm from Pakistan I'm doing my masters here it's my first year in Korea and you?" "I'm from Gaza, it's been around 5 or 6 years since I'm here" wafiyah halts so did afrah thinking something happened "you're from g-gaza?" Afrah smiles gently "yes" "c-can I hug you?" Afrah cooed at her and put the box down to engulf her in a hug "I'm very ashamed as a Muslim, as a Pakistani as a human, please forgive me. I wish we could help our brothers and sisters of Palestine but look at us, I apologize on behalf of ummah" her grip around afrah was hard as she said "I appreciate your love for us wafiyah, your prayers are sufficient for us. Don't apologize at all it's not your fault my dear" they pulled back and started distributing the food and water on the sheets spread across the patio where everyone will gather soon and enjoy "do you work here?" Wafiyah inquired "yes I work in a Cafe as a part time job, but I'm married and have a son" "MashaAllah how old is he?" "He's 3 but sometimes I'm just really concerned about him" "why he's just 3, kids are usually mischievous" afrah shakes her head "you don't know him wafiyah, like I understand kids a naughty which is completely fine but he's evil which scares me?" Wafiyah chuckles "where is he?" "He's on men's side with his father, do you know what he said to me?" She shakes her head "he said the women here stare at him but he's a good Muslim so he'll stay on men side to protect his gaze" she laughed wholeheartedly "Ya Allah what a guy, he sounds like an interesting kid" "I'll introduce you to him when he come here" wafiyah agreed. They had placed all the packages of food water and juices now people will start piling up, afrah kept wafiyah close to herself. They were standing near the wall of mosque chatting about their families "the devil is here" afrah says, she looked in the direction she was looking to see a little kid coming toward them wearing a thawb and keffiyah, she was in awe. The boy came near them eyeing her from head to toe "Kareem what is this behavior" afrah scolds him "Mom I just came here so I don't know what you're talking about" wafiyah was surprised by his nonchalance and straightforwardness "why didn't you say Salam you know it's a bad habit dont you?" "Asalamualikum habibti" she could hardly hold her laugh " Ya Himar, can't you be normal kid for once Allah Allah" afrah bends down to adjust the keffiyah on his head "walikum asalam Kareem, how are you" "I'm fine can you crouch down please?" She does hesitantly, he inspects her face carefully and then hums "nice to meet you habibti" she smiles wide her eyes forming crescents "same here Kareem you're such a cute Baby, you remind me of my other baby friend" "the one who's here?" She froze, maybe she heard it wrong so she says "sorry?" "I said is he here?" He asks just as innocently " no he isn't here" Kareem nods "wafiyah come let's go and join everyone" Kareem hold her hand and walked looking back at a certain person with smirk. Jungkook frowns at the kid's behavior he asked him one job but instead he was smirking at him, this kids audacity "jungkook why are you peeking in women's side" imam called him out but he doesn't look embarrassed at being caught "I saw her after all these days and you decided to take her away" he was in bad mood "you did meet her what's the problem then?" "Imam sahib please let me talk to her" imam hand him a box "go and distribute these you can talk later" he tuts but obliged making imam smile. By the time program ended it was post Isha prayer, she bid farewell to Sara and afrah. They both exchanged numbers and decided to meet more often as both lived in Seoul. She booked a cab for herself so when she opened the door to enter jungkook appeared breathing heavily as if ran a marathon "I'm sorry, she isn't going" he tells the taxi driver who complain for wasting his time but jungkook just bowed apologetically "jungkook are you okay and why did you say that?" She asked worriedly thinking something wrong might have happened "I had to run to catch up to you" "do you wanna say something?" He shakes his head "I'm dropping you to your dorm" "you don't have to bother, I could take a taxi" he squints his eyes and pointed toward his car "come on hurry up" she hesitates "wafiyah I won't let you go with anyone else at this hour" she still didn't move contemplating if she should listen to him "should I grab your hand and take you there myself?" Her eyes widened momentarily and walked toward his car with him following behind. He shakes his head dejectedly when she sat in the back "how's University going?" He asks "Alhamdulliah it's going well" it gets quiet she wasn't talking much he noticed but doesn't comment on that. She kept looking out "wafiyah" she looks at him through the mirror "yes?" It's been so long since he heard her simple yet so endearing and innocent response "is everything okay?" He asked "Alhamdulliah jungkook everything's fine" "are you hungry do you wanna eat anything?" "No,No thank you so much but just drop me off to the dorm" he nodded and drove to her dormitory "thank you jungkook, drive safely have a good night" "Good night" he smiles and waited until she was out of sight then went to his apartment.