Clear Like Water

Night Owl x Hippocampus

___

"Did you hear, the leader of the water clan will be showing up at today's meeting."

"No way, they're so reclusive. I'll treat you to a meal if he really shows up."

"Bet!"

All a ruckus for some nonsensical rumours... Owl was perched over a balcony with a smile drawn over his lips. He was always grateful for the better treatment, what else could be expected for someone of his stature? This private floor was far enough from the lower-class, but close enough to hear about the juicy news which travelled from mouth to mouth. The others hated them even more than he did, but it was always useful data to plan his new move.

The leader of the water clan, they said? That was very interesting... Among the four clans, the latter had forever been so secretive, and since they were the only ones able to live underwater, outsiders barely knew anything about them if not for the few emissaries who came to meetings in the stead of their leader, and some merchants and nomads who were more interested in life on the ground.

Now, they were claiming that this person would grace them with his presence? Owl just couldn't wait, it was probably the first time in his life that he was so eager to attend these boring and endless discussions.

"Thank you all for coming," a lady with red hair and a green dress stood up and sketched a wide smile, Owl had seen her quite a few times regarding trade between their clans, what was her name again, Rhizo... Rhito... Something. She wasn't a bad person, quite the opposite, he had a headache from the amount of kindness he received every time he visited her land. "Today isn't like the others as we are welcoming the new leader of the water clan."

Owl was caught by surprise when the man on his right suddenly got up; he hadn't noticed his presence until now. It wasn't like the times he ignored people on purpose, he truly didn't feel anything despite being aware that someone was beside him. It was a strange and unexplainable feeling.

"Please call me Hippocampus."

It was a prompt presentation, it was the first and last time he ever spoke. Not much of a chatter it seemed, but it just made Owl even more curious because the silent ones are always those who hid the biggest secrets.

When the meeting ended, the man with the bird mask quickly walked to the water clan leader. The latter was honestly much more breathtakingly beautiful than he had anticipated seeing him from closer. His eyes were blue like the ocean and his hair was still drippy as if he just came out from underwater but his clothes were dried by some kind of magical trick. Then his chest... Owl thought that the deep waters were very cold but he had some doubts when looking at Hippocampus.

"Hello, I'm the leader of the wind clan, Night Owl, but you can call me Owl." Hippocampus shook his hand mindlessly. "So... How come we've never heard of you until now?"

"The leader of the water clan is an hereditary position. There's nothing marvellous about the change of leader, we prefer focusing on sending off our loved ones to a worriless eternal slumber."

Owl was starting to understand Hippocampus more. He had never thought about the matter this way but the previous leader was most likely one of his parents or relatives...

"It hasn't been long since I took responsibility for the clan but you're welcome into my palace if you ever need anything. Although our lands are rather far, I think it would be beneficial to both of us if we developed tighter relationships."

"Of course! I feel the same way!"

"Then I will send a subordinate to your place for a start, just go through him for further details."