Painting the Walls

Modern AU

____

Eli sighed as he brought the last bucket of paint needed to finish the walls of their future love nest, letting it rest on the side next to a few others already empty. Moving into a new place was never restful and there was a lot to do but it wasn't bothersome though, it was their own decision to move in together after the brown-haired finally proposed to his lover.

"So, how are things going?" he asked.

Aesop stopped moving his brush to look at him, his gray eyes glancing at his work as he spoke.

"As you can see, I'm almost done."

Eli hummed before grabbing another brush and dipping it in the sky blue paint. "Let me give you a hand." he said to his partner with a smile. 

Thus, the two men resumed the task of finishing the wall that Aesop had already undertaken, two hands being always faster than one.

Only, the blue-eyed male didn't seem to be as dexterous with a paintbrush as the ashen-haired one and the instrument slipped from between his fingers for a second, some of the paint splashing on the other's cheek, the latter widening his eyes at the cold liquid that had just splattered on him.

"Eli!" he shrieked, glaring at him.

"Sorry!"

No matter how apologetic the young man was, his amends felt rather disingenuous with the way he laughed so loudly while holding his ribs.

"Ugh! You know very well taking paint off is hard!"

"Sorry, sorry, I love you darling." he added as he gave him a peck.

"That doesn't always excuse everything, you know..." grumbled Aesop.

"Maybe you'll forgive me if I fix it in this case,"

As soon as he spoke the words, Eli pressed his brush against Aesop's cheek to leave an even bigger mark, half of his face now the same color as the walls of the room.

"Eli Clark, you-!"

Aesop raised his arm in retaliation but the dark-haired man easily dodged with a chuckle.

"I can see you're still not an athlete." he said with a petty smile.

"Come here-!"

"Maybe if you put your weapon down first, dear!"

Following this pace, both of them had forgotten their original purpose and had gotten into a paint fight that didn't end very cleanly, to say the least. Fortunately, a plastic tarp protected the floor so the damage wasn't too bad. Which was not the case with the condition of the two men at the end of the day.

"A real brat..."

"Didn't you participate in that rampage as well?"

"Oh, shut up."

Eli chuckled before lifting Aesop up with a wide smile, the latter blushing slightly despite the pout on his face.

"My lovely husband."

"Future husband."

"What's the difference since we'll end our days together anyway?"

"You're right, for once."

They laughed heartily as Aesop wrapped his arms around Eli's neck, still comfortable in his embrace, to exchange a sweet kiss. The first of a long series in their new home.