The Prince's Shadow

Poisonfeather x Watchman

_____

Eli had always thought that everything belonged to him, having grown up within the walls of the castle for most of his life, pampered and sheltered, he didn't know the cruel nature of desire. It was something unknown to him. That's why he was intrigued by the royal necromancer assigned to him: a young man his own age, a year older at best, with hair as black as a raven's feathers, Aesop Carl.

Apart from the fact that the necromancer looked more like a priest in his long white skirt, he was just completely uninterested in the prince. As the heir to a powerful kingdom that dominated the continent thanks to its brute strength, Eli was used to people looking at him with fear or envy. As for Aesop, that strange fellow... it was almost a wonder he even paid attention to the prince.

Apart from outings when the necromancer was on guard to prevent any danger to his master, Aesop relegated most of his duties to the soldiers stationed within the palace walls, on the pretext that he had already performed a series of spells to protect Eli even from a distance and that it was therefore not necessary for him to be at his side at all times.

The Crown Prince was at a loss for words when he heard the news, but he quickly retorted by forcing Aesop to act as his secretary instead. His life revolved around the fact that what he wanted, he got by any means possible. So, unable to oppose the crown, the young necromancer had no choice but to follow orders.

"Aesop~! Look over here!"

Eli was sitting on his knees on the sofa, leaning against the back of it waving his arm to get the necromancer's attention, to no avail.

"Be careful not to wrinkle your robes,"

Eli did not listen and continued to call out to the necromancer.

"Aesopppppppppp-"

"You have an audience after lunch today, I advise you to review the files concerning the Cunning and Hollow estates." The corner of his lips quirked and he rose to stand in front of the black-haired man's desk. Aesop's gaze then went to Eli's face, or at least what he could see of it due to the bird-beaked mask he wore, a custom practised by Poisonfeather royalty apparently. "Is there-"

Eli suddenly struck the table with the flat of both hands, "Why don't we take a walk outside?" he added with a grin.

Aesop raised an eyebrow, obviously doubtful of the prince's hasty proposal.

"Outside?" he repeated.

"I didn't know you had hearing problems."

"That's not what I meant..." Aesop massaged his temple. "Why does it suddenly occur to you to go into town?"

"That's a question you already know the answer to, I believe. Aren't you always trying to remind me that I need to listen more to my people?"

The necromancer squinted. These were certainly his words, but he wasn't stupid enough not to notice that Eli was using them as an excuse. The day when the young crown prince would so cheerfully suggest going to mingle with the rabble was not soon to come. However, false as his intentions may have been, Aesop felt that taking Eli out into the field was already a start.

"Very well, give me a moment to prepare the outing-"

"I don't need all this!"

"Your Highness-!" Aesop was taken by surprise when Eli plucked him from his chair and slung him over his shoulder, no different than a lowly sack of potatoes. He'd probably die of shame if anyone saw him in that position, he thought. "What on earth do you think you're doing!?"

"Get out, of course!"

"But isn't this the balcony-"

The necromancer's face went pale as he realised that the prince's objective was indeed to jump off the balcony. Normally, that would have been life-threatening, but Eli wasn't just anyone and the enhanced physical abilities he'd been blessed with at birth made him an outstanding athlete. Finally, even if they were going to get out of this unscathed, that didn't stop Aesop from having the feeling that he was on the verge of cardiac arrest.

"Please... Take the main door next time..." muttered the necromancer, covering his mouth as if to prevent himself from regurgitating his breakfast.

"It's not as quick so I don't like that option."

Aesop let out an exaggerated sigh while Eli was busier musing about the alley of stalls of all kinds, hurrying to each one one after the other, the necromancer hastily following the prince's footsteps so as not to lose sight of him. Because of their spontaneous departure, there was no one to guard the future king but himself.

"Your Highness- What-"

Aesop's dinner was going to have to be more substantial than usual in view of his blood pressure, which only dropped with each new action taken by the prince. This time, Eli found himself with a mountain of food of all kinds between his arms, the vassal then realizing that the masked man had subtly stolen his purse without him noticing. The only good thing was that the sauce stains wouldn't show with his black robe.

"Don't just stand there, follow me!"

The necromancer resumed his pursuit of the prince, but became confused by the change of scenery as the two men made their way through the narrow alleys of the capital. Aesop had to admit that when Eli had decided to go outside, he'd never imagined they'd end up doing charity work by distributing food to slum dwellers. This was Eli we were talking about, an arrogant, egocentric prince who thought only of himself... Aesop supposed.

"What exactly are we doing here, Your Highness?"

"Hm? Can't you tell?"

Eli waved two skewers of meat, the one in his left hand he was half devouring, and the one in his right quickly found itself in the possession of a kid wearing rags.

"Yes, but..."

"You're wondering why someone like me would be acting so charitable, aren't you?" he commented with a sneer, the necromancer lowering his eyes, "I just think it's fun to see these kids smiling for so little and it can give you a good impression of me too, killing two birds with one stone."

Because it was fun.

"Is that your only reason?"

"Mhm. Your expectations are different from the others, Aesop. You don't care who gives the orders, you only wish for the welfare of the people even if you pretend it's someone else's wish." Eli chuckled as he stuffed the end of one loaf into the other's mouth, "So if doing good deeds for these people you cherish can get your attention, I'm willing to remove all the evils of the world!"

"That's so childish..." he scoffed, despite the faint smile drawn on his lips.

Eli laughed loudly and the two men carried on distributing until they had nothing left. Back at the castle, the first thing Aesop did was to run a bath for the prince. Having spent all day in the streets and slums, he couldn't imagine the horror if the prince went to bed without first scrubbing every inch of his body.

The necromancer found himself with a mountain of paperwork to deal with too, since Eli had missed all his appointments for the day. Usually he secretly cursed the prince for failing to meet his obligations, but this time he couldn't blame him. He was strangely happy. It was an emotion he'd never thought he'd feel when he thought of the prince, and for the first time, he was looking forward to a new day, even if it meant another day of lecturing Eli.