Mellow Sorrow

Elisop/Aeseli Summer Week Day 3: Yellow Roses

Night Owl Seer

____

Sole the moon shone in the dark coat of the night.

Stars' light was but a dim gleam...

And where the owl came, to stand in front of the large oak tree they first met, yellow roses had sprouted in an eerie way.

Thorns as sharp as needles pierced his heart to the heartbreaking truth he uncovered.

It felt like yesterday when he could still see the faint smile of the man and the blush on his cheeks, he had teased him a bit too much and he had struggled quite a bit to gain the gray-haired's forgiveness but all ended well.

Or so he thought.

He kneeled to the bush of roses and took off his gloves, showing one silver ring on his finger. He grazed it softly, feeling an uncomfortable pain in his chest as he remembered his past. The first time he fell in love and what led him to make an oath he couldn't obey. As a punishment, the owl got cursed for his wrongdoings and so ashamed, he shut himself in a faraway forest where none had the guts to walk near.

He believed he would spend the rest of his life in loneliness in this dark place but that was only until he met him

A rough diamond who happened to live there too, he was an earth spirit who spent his days growing all kinds of flowers during his time to study them and try to create new ones. They didn't really get along at first however, after some talk here and there, it didn't take them long to become like two peas in a pod.

One night like this one, the owl told him about what occurred before he came to the forest, the hardships of leaving his love and the curse of being bound to his feathered friend perched on his shoulder, though he got accustomed to the latter by now.

Years had passed by then and the owl assured him that he was fine since they became companions and he wasn't as bored as before. Nevertheless, the owl had underestimated the gray-haired spirit.

He wasn't the talkative type and his remarks were a bit rude sometimes but the empathy he held in his heart was greater than anyone else in the forest and never did the owl think that his friend would go as far as seeking the spirit king for a favor.

However, a wish comes with a price of equal worth and what the spirit asked was for the owl to retrieve what he had lost, something that had changed his whole life and for such a grand wish to be granted, the gray-haired spirit was left with only one choice.

And the bright yellow roses in a humanoid shape rooted in the ground were proof of his sacrifice.

What he didn't know though, was that the time the owl passed with him helped to heal his scars and the spirit had become the new ray of sun in his life.

Now it was too late to change the present and the owl could do nothing more than mourn for the second time his love. 

His mask falling to the ground to reveal a pair of sparkling blue eyes misted with tears.