The Phoenix and the Turtle

Night Owl x Phoenix

___

The Celestial Kingdom was home to all hybrid races soaring the skies. It was a peaceful place to live, hidden away on the highest mountain peaks, where not even the clouds could reach. The temples built on top were breathtakingly beautiful, even more so when you knew how much it cost to maintain them. One of the rocky peaks stood out from the others because of the aura it exuded. This wasn't a domain where ordinary people could simply come and go, only the elite of the elite could be invited. Breaking in wasn't very feasible either, because it wasn't a simple aura, but rather something so powerful that your wings would get heavy just getting close to it.

You're probably wondering what was so important that you needed this kind of security, perhaps a princess whose beauty could start wars, a weapon that could split the sea in two... It was all just a figment of an unbridled imagination. Nothing of the sort was there, much to the dismay of the populace.

In fact, it was just the home of the lord, a divine bird who paid excessive attention to privacy and tranquillity.

Of course, the palace received diplomats and other important people, but they were all greeted by his faithful assistant. The latter was a very diligent person who was endlessly loyal to his master, almost to a state of dread.

He was known as Owl. Perfectionist, sociable and assiduous, he was the perfect assistant, carrying out certain tasks before they were even assigned to him. With such a personality, it was surprising to learn that he could have fallen hopelessly infatuated with such a weary and disinterested master. Phoenix was the opposite of Owl. He didn't like to leave his palace and secluded himself either in his private library or in the gardens.

There were rumours that Phoenix didn't exist and that it was all some kind of subterfuge while Owl acted as the real overseer, but these were quickly silenced each time so the atmosphere in the palace remained fairly calm on the whole, letting his master's honour be insulted in this way was an affront Owl couldn't let stand.

"Your Majesty, it would appear that troops of unknown origin have been sighted in the gorge of the valley."

Owl was reading his report to Phoenix who was having his tea, sitting on the bench of the gazebo in his private gardens.

"Can you take care of that, Eagle?"

Phoenix turned his gaze to the man standing next to Owl, standing slightly back with a dull expression. If Owl was his right-hand man, then Eagle was the sword that sliced through his enemies and made sure order reigned.

"Understood."

The man in the blue feathered hood bowed before disappearing like the spy he was. Even though he was Phoenix's closest intendant, Owl couldn't help but envy Eagle with zeal in situations like this. How-dare-he!

"If you don't mind me asking... Why didn't you give me this job instead...?"

"What are you talking about," Phoenix raised an eyebrow, "You've got so much on your plate already and that's part of Eagle's job too."

Owl's face brightened, although he was hidden by his mask, his master was actually concerned about him! Of course he did, and it was a shame he hadn't realised it sooner, Phoenix may have kept a face as cold as marble all day long, but Owl knew better than anyone the kindness that lurked deep in his heart, as proof, the cerulean-haired man remembered his birthday every year by giving him one of the best teas in his collection.

"You're too generous! I knew I could never regret having the honour of staying by your side!"

"I'm glad to see you're still bursting with energy."

Phoenix smiled faintly. He found Owl endearing and was as proud of his prowess as a master seeing his protégé finally spread his wings on his own. This smile, seen from an angelic level by Owl, did not have the same effect, however, contributing to the pounding of his heart in his chest. 

He smiled wider at Phoenix, oblivious to the storm cumulus he had just incubated.