Tainted Holiness

Bloody Earl x Watchman

____

"What do you do when you fall in love with a human?"

The vampire with a low ponytail stopped in his motion and closed his mouth, putting back the fork on which a whole steak almost slipped off.

"You suck him dry?"

"Naib-! Be serious for once!"

"I am though-! And don't they say that the blood of humans in love is one of the most exquisite delicacies?"

"I don't think he even likes me..."

"Hmm, is that so."

"You're not helping much..."

"You asked, I answered."

The vampire groaned and lifted the side of his coat theatrically, disappearing into thin air.

Darkness was lit up by the rays of the moonlight falling over the gothic building. He fell down gracefully on the side of a window, being careful to be well hidden. He checked around one last time but as usual, no one would be wandering outside at this hour. He let out a sigh and then moved a bit closer to peek inside. A few candles were burning in the huge hall of the church and alone, sitting in the front row, he was here again. Each night, at the same time of the day, he would sit on the wooden bench, hands joined together as he prayed so earnestly.

Right, this man was a priest, his natural enemy by definition. However, he was also one of the most ethereal beings he had ever seen in his life -he had lived at least a few centuries but in such circumstances, he could understand why the man was a follower of God- and despite belonging to opposite sides, the vampire thought he would not mind being purified by the holy man.

The vampire smiled and landed on the ground with a bounce. He walked to the entrance but before entering, ran his hand through his hair, white turned brown, scarlet eyes changed to cerulean blue and with a wave of his cloak, his clothes morphed into a long dark blue robe. With his disguise on, he gently pushed open the large doors of the building and stepped inside.

His arrival was not unnoticed as the priest turned his head towards him from the bench where he was sitting. Nevertheless, as a man of good faith, he rose to greet his visitor.

"Good evening, Mr.Clark" he said with an almost unperceived smile.

"Fine evening indeed, I hope I'm not disturbing you."

"Not in the least, I appreciate the fact that someone as busy as you always takes the trouble to come and pray."

No need to say after such an exchange that the two men already knew each other. This was not the first time the vampire had visited the priest, but the color of his hair and eyes was unique to the vampiric race, forcing him to change his appearance. He was posing as a wandering seer, a peculiar profession admittedly, and while the goal was to blend in with the crowd, his pride compelled him not to simply walk around as a plain human like so many others.

"The church remains open to the public at all times even if none of the priests are present but, you my friend, never fail to attend."

"I guess I've started to develop a certain attachment to you." he replied along with a faint laugh. "And... perhaps I am intrigued as to why a being of the night would come into enemy territory with such nonchalance."

The priest squinted slightly, to which the vampire flinched.

The blue-eyed vampire was torn between amazement at having been found out as well as the priest's first statement.

His stubbornness had apparently paid off in the end since the raven haired man did not seem indifferent to him.

"You're not a regular human from what I can see."

"One of my ancestors had the job of hunting your kind and let's just say he... had a certain skill."

The vampire widened his eyes. He swore he saw the priest's eyes glow with a bloody gleam for a second. It was such a shock that he laughed loudly.

"I see... What are you going to do then? Have me as your prey as well?"

"I wonder who is the one hunting whom."

"You are more perceptive than I thought and I like that. So, what do you think, a walk under the moonlight but for you, I'll make it much more thrilling."

"You're catching me off guard, I must say. Tonight is not preferable but I will be better prepared next time so please accept this in the meantime..."

The priest slid his hand against the vampire's face and leaned in to place a kiss on his cheek.

"I will return tomorrow at the same time."

"I am already looking forward to that. Perhaps then I will have the honor of seeing your true appearance."

"Of course."

The vampire grabbed the man's hand and kissed the back of it before bowing and disappearing into the darkness of the starry sky. The priest smiled a little wider as he left, letting a fang protrude from his upper lip. He blew out the candles that were still burning, plunging the hall into darkness. Before leaving, he checked the altar one last time; there were still enough candles left for the next night.