The Golden Castle

It's all coming back now...

All the memories which were buried in the deepest parts of my mind.

All those years spent writing poems about shadows and screams haunting my dreams.

Everything became clearer as I recalled the way the smile drawn on your face brightened your features, always so stiff in my presence. I remember your soft laughter and how much you cared for your cat, Alexander II.

I didn't have the most joyful upbringing, imprisoned in this golden castle, forced to dirty my hands with the scarlet blood of countless innocents. I had no other choice back then, I was only a kid who knew nothing and took that cursed hand to survive.

There were times I wished I had died in that dark alley instead of going to the orphanage but then, the count would never have taken me in and our meeting would never have happened.

After seeing you for the first time, I thought we would not get along. I could not guess whatever was going through your mind and you also seemed to despise me at that time. I was proven wrong though, that day you caused an explosion, I was more scared than expected even if my face did not show it. Perhaps it was just a scientist's thing to stir such troubles and I was too cautious.

What happened after was even more embarrassing for me but you looked like you enjoyed the situation, maybe it was when I started taking an interest in you. The time I spent with you was most likely the happiest in my life despite the fact that I had to hide these feelings from that poisonous snake.

The count was an influential man who has eyes everywhere and one wrong step could lead me to fall into a pit of endless darkness. Unlike you, I was replaceable. Even to this day, I'm sure he's still keeping watch of every movement I make. Changing names and appearance wasn't enough to trick that cunning snake.

You knew it too and faced the same treatment yet you decided to stay out of your own will, because of this, I always thought you were crazier than I who blindly followed him for so many years. However, you came up with a plan even more dangerous than drinking coffee from a beaker.

Escape and leave you behind? This was the most absurd thing I ever heard.

Your sweet tongue succeeded in convincing me though as I now found myself people I could call family.

One spot in my heart still remains empty even so. My mind would never be able to rest knowing you're still stuck in this hellish mansion.

We made a promise that day and I am determined to repay my part by saving the prince in his castle.