Red Faith

Hunter Eli x Survivor Aesop

TW: Blood, death  
___

"Aesop, let's go."

"I'm coming."

The embalmer turned one last time, peering at the hunched back of a tall man wearing a robe whose ends were in tatters. The latter did not look at him, but the owl firmly clinging to his shoulder stared at him without averting the only eye she possessed, until her master disappeared across the corridor.

Now he couldn't help the shiver that ran down his spine when their eyes met, if that's what you could really call it. The hunter's gaze was so cold, as if constantly lost, confused, unsure of his own existence. His red eyes were a reflection of his thoughts, which were clouded by the sole desire to see blood shed. He was no more different than an empty shell, Aesop knew full well.

He was no longer Eli, the others kept saying. Any hint of sympathy of the seer had disappeared somewhere without anyone knowing what had become of it, replaced by the cold cruelty common to the strange and peculiar beings living in the other part of the manor, a dangerous zone they were advised to avoid. A few had been spared this curse, but the man in question was not so lucky. Former friends were no different from prey to be slaughtered.

And yet, Aesop couldn't bring himself to forget him.

Eli was still Eli, no matter what state he was in. No matter how much his allies told him to leave him alone or spoke ill of the hunter, Aesop saw beyond his physical shape. The simple fact of Brooke's insistent gaze every time they passed each other was proof of that. No words may have been exchanged, but Eli wasn't oblivious to Aesop's presence either.

Aesop hoped that one day things would get better.

The rustling of the trees seemed louder that night, like a warning. For once, perhaps the embalmer should have kept his coffin for his own use. However, the strange empathy he gained during these so-called 'games' got the better of him. He had nothing left on him and was at the mercy of the shadow hovering behind him. He could have avoided it, but after facing despair for so long, what was the point, he asked himself.

His bloodied hands gently caressed his cheeks as they had the first time they confessed their feelings to each other. His lips drew a smile, as warm as the wet sensation Eli couldn't bring himself to accept the source of.

"Happy birthday... Eli..."

"H-Haaa.... Ae...sop..."

He always remembered that special day they used to celebrate. There was no cake nor presents this time. All that remained was the inanimate body of the young embalmer, embraced for the last time by the bygone seer, who regained his humanity when the most precious person in his eyes was no more.