Reverse

Recluse x Trickster

____

The office was quiet, it was a monday morning, eight o'clock exactly. Their detective agency was a small one of only a few employees and not a lot would arrive so early. Trickster was waiting for the coffee machine to pour his drink when he heard chatter coming from the hallway. He could not see who it was but he already knew just from their voices. One was a woman, a blonde with bright blue eyes whom no one could dislike, she was always on time and as assiduous on her work as her mind was brilliant. She was almost too perfect.

About the man who followed her... His name was Recluse, same age as him, quite similar to the woman, to the point the two of them seemed like the embodiment of perfection. A heavenly match, most thought. Trickster thought so too, as much as it made his heart ache. He had heard that they were childhood friends who bonded by sharing the same interest for mysteries and investigations. It was as if everything was meant to keep them together and the only thing left needed were the church bells and the bouquet.

Trickster could not recall when his feelings started to get deeper. Recluse had always been a good side-kick, they had gone through rough times multiple times when some cases dug too much with the underworld but they always successfully managed to pull out safely from these predicaments. They trusted each other with their own life but it stopped at the limits of work. Outside the office, they were back to strangers or mere acquaintances.

It did not help either that Trickster was technically his boss.

"Oh, good morning sir!"

The cheerful voice he dreaded made him turn around and he tried hard to retain an unfazed expression.

"Good morning to you two."

"You're always here before us, are you sure you're getting enough sleep?" said Recluse worrily.

"I'm good, and you're here to come to my rescue if I ever faint."

Recluse's eyes widened, which instantly gave goose bumps to Trickster who wondered if the man in the trenchcoat viewed it as flirting, the words just came out faster than his brain thought.

"You shouldn't put too much trust in that guy, boss. He's no better."

"Gertrude..."

"Anyway, you came at the right time, I just received a call from the commissioner."

"Did we get a new case..?" asked the brown-haired man cautiously.

It never bode well when they got work as it meant that someone probably died or some other kind of crime was committed. Someone has to deal with the dirty work though, even if this lawlessness was their livelihood.

"Indeed, get ready as fast as possible, I will see you two in the car in ten minutes."

The two subordinates nodded before hurrying to their desks to grab everything they could need. In less than the given time, the three were already in the car and ready to go. Recluse was sitting at the front with Trickster at the driver seat while Gertrude was in the back, notebook and pen in hand.

"So what's the deal?" asked Recluse.

"I've only heard brief details on the phone, apparently the victim's name is Jose Baden, 25, a marine officer, he drowned in a swimming pool at a party."

"A naval officer who drowns...? That's a bit hard to believe..." commented Gertrude.

"It could be an accident too, but murder seems more plausible in these circumstances."

"What circumstances?" Recluse looked at Trickster, waiting for an answer.

"I'd rather not get ahead of myself until we get there. We'll arrive shortly so you'll see for yourself."