The Beginning

Noir x Gatto

___

"So, your name is Gatto?"

"Yes, sir."

"I hope to see the fruits of your work soon."

"I'll do my best."

Gatto shook the tall man's hand. The latter bore a wide smile but for some reason, it didn't seem like he was smiling at all. He wasn't the type who got involved much with other people but something, a hint, whispered to his ear that he should specifically keep his distance with the man who was now his boss.

The black-haired man cleaned his hand with his handkerchief before sitting back behind his desk.

"Also, it may be a bit uncomfortable with you but, as you may know, the Uriel family has lots of rivals and since we're never wary enough... this guy will be your bodyguard from now on."

Following these words, Gatto felt a presence suddenly appear behind him. He turned around and met eyes with a man wearing a sort of monocle-eye patch. A single gaze from the latter gave him chills. He felt like he could slit his throat at any given time if he didn't meet the expectations of their employer. 

"I understand."

Gatto glanced a little more attentively at his colleague, but the latter paid him no attention whatsoever. He could already feel the headache this would bring, but with some luck, this bodyguard would use his unique ability to remain discreet to stay out of his sight.

The scientist exchanged a few more words with the man whose aura was as menacing as a poisonous snake, before finally leaving his office. He let out a sigh. It was one thing done. But the end of his worries was still out of reach, for he now had another concern to deal with.

"Erm... May I ask your name?" he asked nervously.

"... Noir."

Gatto frowned slightly, was it that difficult to give his name? No matter, this man...Noir, was only there to play watchdog. He'd made enough effort today to remain polite, and his schedule was already full.

So, without paying Noir any further attention, Gatto continued towards the laboratory that had been prepared for him. He'd thought he'd continue his research in his shabby apartment, but the outrageous wealth of the Uriel family proved more useful than he'd hoped.

He decided to pick up the pace, but he did so a little too suddenly and caught his foot on the red carpet that lined the corridors of the mansion. Luckily, Noir, who was standing just behind, was quick enough to catch him just in time, his hand holding Gatto firmly by the waist to prevent him from falling hard.

"...You'd better watch out if you don't want to cause an incident in the future."

"T-thank you."

Gatto hurried away from Noir as he stood on his own two feet, irritated.

It was really a bad day for him between his partner who'd abandoned him to play ghost hunter instead of showing up for the appointment, and now this bodyguard who seemed annoyed by every interaction he had with him.

From another point of view, Noir broadly shared the same thoughts as Gatto, but his main concern was that he feared the trouble the scientist would bring. They hadn't even reached the laboratory yet and trouble was already brewing. If he was to carry out his mission properly, Noir would have to keep a close eye on Gatto...