The news

What?!

If they were in the same place, Manaow and Gyo's voices would echo. Manaow was reluctantly eating dinner at her parents' house. She didn't like spending time with them since she became independent.

Let's make sense of this, Dad. Have you gone crazy or what?

Manapat Siridawong! Don't talk to your father like that! Show some respect, young lady.

But mom...

But nothing. The decision has already been made. With this deal we kill two birds with one stone: you help your father's business that you detest so much and we make sure you give up that womanizer life you lead. Manaow shrunk back in her seat and sighed in exasperation. She knew she had no way out of this arrangement. Not if she wanted to keep her life of luxury that they paid for on the condition that if they asked her for a favor she would do it without being able to refuse.

Gyo was in the meeting room of her office with her mother when she was given the news.

I just don't understand, Mom. Why do I have to marry someone I don't know?

I told you, honey. This will benefit us for our business relationship with the Siridawong family.

I'm not even a lesbian, Mom. Doesn't she have a brother or a cousin I can marry? And why don't you ask Devi to marry her? My sister would be more than willing.

Love is love. I'd rather you have a secure future with this woman from a good family than marrying any scoundrel who gives you flowers and fairy tales. Besides, do you think I didn't talk to her first? Devi herself suggested to me that you should be the one to get married and, frankly, I agree. You're not an 18-year-old girl anymore. In my entire life, I've never met a boyfriend worthy of being with you.

What about Pure? You said you like him. Gyo's mother nodded.

Yes, but as your friend. That boy doesn't even have a secure job. He lives for handouts in bars because he wanted to be a singer instead of studying law like his father.

Mom, I...

You must obey me as you always have, Gyoza. You are my pride. Don't fail me now when I need you most. Gyo nodded resignedly.

Yes, mom.