Chapter 24: And you will know the truth.

In the two weeks following Max and Monica's triumphant retrieval of the zelmite ore, the rejuvenation of Palm Brinks and its surroundings unfolded with remarkable swiftness. Ironclad Industries, under the auspices of Robert Ironclad's visionary leadership, spearheaded the expansion of the railway network. New trains were conceptualized and designed to meet the anticipated surge in demand, while additional tracks were laid down to extend the mobility and connectivity of the region.

Simultaneously, Mayor Need acted on his ambitious promise to dismantle the walls encircling Palm Brinks, a symbolic and practical gesture towards opening the town up to the world. The townspeople, inspired by the collective spirit of renewal and progress, eagerly volunteered for the demolition efforts. The removal of the walls marked not only a physical transformation but also a philosophical shift towards inclusivity and growth.

For the first time in generations, the residents of Palm Brinks were granted the freedom to explore beyond the confines of their town, fostering a sense of adventure and curiosity. Similarly, individuals from outside found themselves welcomed into a community once isolated from the world. This newfound openness led to an exchange of ideas, cultures, and commerce, enriching the lives of all involved.

As the hustle and bustle of Palm Brinks' transformation unfolded around them, Max and Monica found themselves in a moment of respite at a cozy coffee shop near the station. There, amidst the aromatic blend of coffee and the soft hum of conversation, they observed the vibrant flux of people at the station, a tangible testament to their efforts.

Max, cradling his latte, shared a moment of reflection with Monica. "Sometimes, I wonder if this is all just a dream—that everything we've done is just a figment of my imagination," he mused, pausing to take a sip of his drink. "But then, I think back on all the adventures we've been through together, and I'm overwhelmed with gratitude that we've achieved so much."

Monica, savouring her cappuccino, acknowledged Max's sentiment with a nod. As she set her cup down, she shared her thoughts. "I know what you mean. Here, I've been able to accomplish more than I ever could have as a princess and then queen." Her voice carried a mix of nostalgia and satisfaction, reflecting on the path that brought her from the burdens of royalty to the fulfilment of making a tangible difference in the lives of those around her and the fabric of time itself.

Max, ever thoughtful, ventured a delicate question. "Do you ever regret leaving your kingdom?" It was a gentle probe into the choices that had shaped their current reality.

Monica's response was immediate, marked by a confidence that eased any concerns. "My people will be okay," she assured him. Her faith in her kingdom's resilience was unshaken, bolstered by their proven ability to recover in her absence as she battled Griffon. "I believe they can thrive even in my absence," she continued, her voice tinged with a hopeful optimism for her homeland's future.

She then shifted the conversation to a recent discussion with the mayor about her humanitarian plan—a topic that brightened her demeanour. "I spoke with the mayor about it, and he's entirely on board. He even suggested organizing sporting events to raise funds for those in need," Monica revealed, enthusiasm lighting up her face. The mayor's full support for her initiative to weave a network of aid and communal solidarity was a significant step forward.

Eager to immerse herself further in the local community, Monica considered leveraging her unique skills in a way that could benefit those around her. "I've been thinking of offering swordsmanship lessons," she shared with Max. "With the world outside still teeming with monsters, it could be a useful skill for people to have."

Max found himself deeply impressed by Monica's unwavering dedication to helping others, a trait that recalled his own mother's selflessness. His heart swelled with happiness upon learning from Monica that Elena was thriving in the future and still held him in her thoughts. Though a pang of sadness gripped him knowing Elena couldn't remain in the past, he found solace in accepting this reality. Moreover, he forged a path to reconciliation with his father, who had kept significant truths hidden from him for countless years.