Chapter 5: Royal Mail

Master Gaius, the Queen's personal advisor, proceeded with measured steps towards Monica's private quarters. The Queen had summoned him to discuss a matter of both a personal and urgent nature. As a safeguard, sentinels were station at the door, an oath-bound precaution to ensure their monarch's unassailable security-albeit Monica often declared her competence in self-defence.
Approaching the door, he delivered a quartet of sharp raps.
"Who calls?" inquired Monica from within.
"It is I, your advisor, my Queen," Gaius articulated with due formality.
"Enter," came the Queen's swift reply.

With a respectful nudge, Gaius set the doors in motion, parting the entrance to the Queen's inner sanctum. As he stepped over the threshold, the quiet hush of the chamber welcomed him. With an effortless motion borne of practice, he eased the doors closed, the soft click sealing the sanctum from the outside world, thus ensuring a secluded conference with the Queen.

Upon entering, Gaius's gaze fell upon Monica, noting the transformation from her regal princess attire to a resplendent gown of emerald green, adorned with intricate golden floral patterns-a gracious gift from Lady Windsor, an enduring ally of the Raybrandt lineage. The dress was accompanied by a selection of delicacies from Lao Chao's Bistro, which Monica had been savouring.

Her hair, typically fashioned into a braided ponytail, now cascaded freely, a silken waterfall reaching down to her knees. Absorbed in her reading, Monica perused a stack of correspondence from Lords and Ladies far and wide. Among them lay a missive from Duke Leonard Devereux, extending heartfelt condolences for the recent passing of her father. His words conveyed more than mere formality; they bore the weight of a profound bond, punctuated with vows of unwavering support for her forthcoming reign. The ties between the Devereux and Raybrandt houses were indeed historic, and in this moment of contemplation, Monica was reminded that even in the wake of loss, she was far from alone.

Another letter bore the seal of Lady Medici, a noblewoman more noted for her haughtiness than her popularity among the court. The Medicis, though of noble blood, had always skirted the periphery of royal favour. Lady Medici's singular ambition was to entwine her progeny with the royal lineage, by any means necessary. Her machinations to have one of her three sons wed into the monarchy were thinly veiled attempts to secure a future for her descendants upon the throne-love and kinship were mere afterthoughts, if considered at all.

Now that Monica had ascended to the throne, Lady Medici's schemes grew more unrelenting. But Monica, with the discernment befitting a sovereign, was resolute. She had no intention of allowing marriages of convenience to undermine the sanctity of her reign. The subtle strokes of her pen on the guest lists for her coronation and forthcoming royal gatherings silently affirmed that the Medici family would find no favour at her court.

The Last letter that Monica received correspondence from Duchess Fitzroy, a woman of commendable benevolence. The Duchess, a childhood confidante of Monica's mother, devoted her life to philanthropic pursuits and was revered amongst the populace-far more so than the rest of the noble houses, which often scorned her for her marriage to a commoner. Duchess Fitzroy harboured a deep respect for those who rose from humble beginnings to carve out their success through sweat and resolve, rather than those who simply inherited their wealth and wielded their status with contempt for the less fortunate.

Within the letter, Duchess Fitzroy extended an invitation to Monica: to partake in a charity sporting event designed to generate funds for a new orphanage, a beacon of hope for children bereaved by the Griffon's devastating assault on their land. Monica's heart swelled with anticipation; to join such a noble cause was a priority as soon as her coronation was duly celebrated.

After scanning a handful of letters, the queen turned her attention towards Master Gaius. "Thank you for patiently waiting for me to finish with these letters, Gaius."
"No problem at all, Your Majesty," Gaius replied. "You had asked me to speak to you about a matter of urgency."
The queen stood up, indicating her readiness to discuss the issue. "Yes, I need you to gather information about two individuals. I want to know what happened to them."
"Understood, my queen. Could you please provide me with their names?"
Monica began with the first person she wanted information on. "The first person I want information about is a boy named Maximillian. He is a young inventor who aided me in the fight against Griffon, Elena's son and the chosen bearer of the Red Atlamillia."
Gaius nodded as he took note of Max's name. "I recall Elena mentioning having a son while she was supposed to be locating the whereabouts of the red stone."
"Elena fell in love with Gerald, a businessman from Palm Brinks. He held the stone until it was passed on to Max," Monica explained further.
Gaius paused, a look of surprise on his face. "I see. Palm Brinks? That town has been abandoned for 100 years."
Monica appeared taken aback by the fact that Max's hometown was now a ghost town. "Why was it abandoned?" she inquired.
"I'm not certain, but I will search the archives for any additional information," Gaius assured her.
"Thank you, Gaius. I am asking because I want to know if Max lived a fulfilling life after we defeated Griffon," Monica expressed her curiosity.

Gaius positioned himself to resume taking notes, ready to delve into the task at hand. Curious about the other person, he inquired, "And whose is the other person you need me to find?"
The Queen, intrigued by Gaius's interest, replied, "A young girl named Tren." As soon as the name escaped her lips, Gaius halted his writing abruptly. A flicker of worry flashed across his face, catching the Queen's attention. Concerned, she gently asked, "Something the matter, Master Gaius?"
Attempting to regain his focus, Gaius swiftly responded, "No, not at all, my Queen. I was just...thinking of something else that crossed my mind." Determined to refocus on the task at hand, he inquired, "Who is this Tren you want me to find?"
Monica proceeded to provide him with the necessary details, painting a clear picture of Tren. "Tren is approximately my age. She possesses dark hair, blue eyes, and delicate freckles adorning her face. She is the daughter of a Tavernkeeper from the town neighbouring the castle. The last time I laid eyes on her, she ventured into a cave to shield the children from the soldiers of Emperor Griffon. Now, I need to ascertain whether Tren is alive and residing in a different village. However, if, unfortunately, she has passed away, I would require an official death certificate."

"As you wish, my Queen. I will diligently investigate both names and provide you with the findings. Please note, however, that I will have the results after the coronation," assured Gaius, displaying his loyalty to the Queen.
Monica, appreciating his dedication, responded reassuringly, "Take all the time you need, Gaius. There is no rush in this matter."
Gaius humbly bowed, expressing his gratitude, before posing another question, "Thank you, my Queen. Oh, since you mentioned the red stone, I'm curious to know what happened to it and your blue stone."
Recalling the past events, Monica solemnly replied, "Both mine and Max's stones were destroyed during our battle with the emperor. We also managed to destroy Griffon's sun stone."
A hint of disappointment appeared on Gaius's face as he processed the information. He commented, "I see. Regardless, if they are destroyed, it means that they cannot fall into evil hands anymore. Anyway, I must take my leave now if I am to gather any information on your friends."

Before Gaius took his leave, he paused to address Queen Monica with a gravity that matched the dark tidings he bore. "Your Majesty, there is one final matter that demands your attention," Gaius said, extending a sheet of document towards her. "These papers await your signature."

The queen's brow furrowed as she inquired, "Thats a lot of papers to sign."

Gaius gave her some reassurance "Worry not, my queen. These papers are on a device called the Auto-Signer. A new device from the Luna Labs. You only need to write your signature at the bottom of the pad, and it will copy onto every paper in seconds."

Monica then signed her name on the pad and soon all two hundred papers had her name on all of them.

As the queen's signature adorned the papers, a cryptic smile played upon Gaius's lips. "Your decisiveness fortifies this kingdom, Your Majesty. Regrets shall not find you."

With the queen's assent secured, Gaius retreated, the chamber door whispering shut in his wake.

Any doubt crept over Monica, her mind replaying the flicker of satisfaction on Gaius's face, his peculiar reaction to Tren's name, and his unsettling interest in the Atlamillia. Yet she dismissed these swirling thoughts, directing her focus toward the pile of correspondence that lay upon her desk, each letter a silent sentinel to the realms' affairs.