Chapter 21: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Over the following 12 days, Max and Monica channelled all their energy into strengthening themselves for the daunting challenges that lurked within the mines. Understanding the importance of focused training, Max invited Monica to stay at his mansion. This arrangement allowed her the privacy and space needed to diligently practice her swordsmanship and hone her magical prowess, undisturbed.

Meanwhile, Max dedicated the bulk of his time to Cedric's workshop, a space teeming with innovation and ingenuity where he could concentrate on enhancing his arsenal. His efforts were primarily cantered on upgrading his wrench and hammer weapons, aiming to significantly boost their damage output. Recognizing the need for a comprehensive approach, Max also focused on improving the gun gifted to him by Elder Jurak. Thanks to a wealth of resources and Max's tireless commitment, he managed to transform the Jurak Gun into the Supernova—a formidable laser weapon with the astonishing capability to incapacitate almost any foe with just a few well-aimed shots.

With his weaponry now significantly enhanced, Max turned his attention to the ridepod, envisioning a series of substantial upgrades that would drastically improve its performance in combat situations. The first step was addressing the ridepod's body; the original drum can structure, while reliable, left much to be desired in terms of durability and protection. Max found a solution in a super-alloy, crafting a new body that promised unmatched resilience against the monstrous inhabitants of the mines.

Next on his agenda was the fuel pod. The existing model was functional but inefficient, prompting Max to seek an innovative alternative. In a stroke of ingenuity, he repurposed an empty vacuum cleaner, transforming it into a highly efficient fuel pod that would ensure longer operational periods and enhanced mobility for the ridepod.

However, mobility remained a concern. The ridepod's current leg configuration resulted in sluggish movement, making it an easy target for enemy attacks. Recognizing the need for speed and agility, Max scoured the scrap pile for a solution, his eyes landing on a pair of old roller skates. These, he realized, could be the key to transforming the ridepod's mobility. By adapting the roller skates for the ridepod's feet, Max introduced a new level of speed and manoeuvrability, allowing for swift dodges and strategic positioning in battle.

Completing the transformation of the ridepod, Max focused on overhauling its main armaments to ensure it was fully equipped for the range of challenges they would face within the mines. Recognizing the necessity for versatility in combat, he first addressed the need for effective close-quarters capabilities.

He developed and installed drill arms, a design inspired by both combat efficiency and practical utility. These robust mechanical limbs were engineered to deliver devastating damage to adversaries at close range. Additionally, they were perfectly suited for navigating the mine's environment, capable of drilling through tough rock surfaces that might obstruct their path, thereby serving a dual purpose of combat readiness and environmental adaptability.

For engagements requiring a longer reach, Max turned his attention to the Nova Cannons — technologically advanced weapons gifted by Osmond from the future. Understanding the potential of these weapons, Max undertook precise calibrations to push their capabilities even further. He adjusted the cannons to emit beams of intensified energy, drastically increasing their damage output. These enhancements meant the Nova Cannons could now unleash concentrated blasts of energy capable of inflicting severe damage on distant targets, making them a more indispensable asset for controlling the battlefield from afar.

Cedric, the guiding force, and mentor to Max in their shared workshop, observed his young protégé's dedication with a mix of admiration and concern. Max, fuelled by a determination to protect and advance the lives of those in Palm Brinks, had immersed himself in his work, tirelessly crafting and upgrading gear without pause.