Chapter 10: Meet the Medici's

Monica reluctantly joined Lady Medici on a hunting expedition at Starlight Canyon, at the request of her advisor. She had been dreading this day, anticipating Lady Medici's attempts to persuade her sons to win over Monica's affection. However, Monica believed that the only reaction she would receive from her sons would be one of disgust. As Monica contemplated the unpleasant nature of the lady's sons, her thoughts turned to Max. She knew that Max would always respect her and never take advantage of her royal status.

Monica had intended to reach the canyon on her own using her personal transportation, along with Lisa coming with her. However, Lady Medici insisted on picking her up from the castle. As Monica settled into the flying car headed for their destination, she noticed Lady Medici was already adorned in her hunting armour. Knowing that the Germon dragons could unleash elemental attacks based on their colour, Monica, and everyone else on the hunting trip made sure to come fully prepared with the appropriate equipment.

Monica had the opportunity to take a closer look at Lady Medici's three sons. The first was Lawrence, the eldest of the three and the heir to the lady's estate. Lawrence was a typical rich, petulant individual. He exuded arrogance, had a bad temper, displayed a sense of entitlement, and was incredibly selfish. He was notorious among the nobles and the common people for his violent outbursts whenever he did not get his way. His most recent outburst occurred after losing a game of tennis to Baron Lionel's son. Unable to contain his anger, he lashed out at the nearest servant, who is still recovering from their injuries. Monica understood that if Lawrence were to become king, he would likely engage in unnecessary conflicts over trivial matters.

As the middle child, Clive stood distinct from his older sibling, lacking in strength but compensating with keen intellect. Serving as the family Treasurer, Clive's aptitude for finance was unmatched. Aside from his primary role, he dabbled in real estate—shrewdly acquiring land, even protected areas, to develop budget-friendly housing. He would then strategically raise the rents, effectively forcing existing tenants out and funnelling the profits into the Medici vault. After evicting the occupants, Clive would drop the prices, restarting the cycle.

Monica, although impressed by his financial acumen, couldn't condone his methods. She deeply resented how his strategies invariably harmed the innocent, with families enduring the most of his unscrupulous schemes.

Arnold, the youngest son, lacked Lawrence's robust physique and Clive's sharp intelligence. Yet, he was endowed with a compassionate nature, a quality which rendered him the outlier in his family's calculating dynasty. His kin retained him as a convenient target for their derision, often making him the scapegoat for any disputes with other noble houses. Despite Monica's disdain for her family's machinations, she harboured a sense of pity for Arnold. His propensity for kindness and his inclination to help others made him the undeserved subject of their mistreatment.

Lady Medici initiated the dialogue with Monica with a refined curiosity, "Your Majesty, I've been informed that you journeyed to Starlight Canyon on your quest to thwart Griffon."

"Indeed," the queen confirmed. "Alongside a companion, it was imperative that we prevent Gaspard from demolishing the lighthouse, which housed the Moon Crystal."

"Is that the very crystal harnessed by Crest at the Starlight Temple?" interjected Clive with interest.

"The very same," Monica affirmed. "Regrettably, I couldn't preserve the original Crest, yet his protégé, Lin, honoured his legacy by continuing his sacred duties under his name."

"And during your time at the lighthouse, were you able to confront the murderer of the king? Was it a spectacle battle against him?" Lawrance inquired.

"Regrettably, no. It was only at the core of Mount Gundor that Max and I were compelled to confront him after Griffon had twisted him into a monstrosity. As much as I hated him for killing my father, I couldn't suppress a wave of pity for him. He was merely a lost soul searching for a direction in life, one whom Griffon mercilessly exploited," Monica recounted, her tone tinged with remorse.

"Monica," Arnold began, his voice steady and reassuring as he addressed the queen, "your resilience and kindness are truly extraordinary. Confronting one who has inflicted deep wounds upon you, yet still being able to perceive the remnants of their humanity — that requires immense fortitude. It's a poignant reflection of your inner strength that, amidst the maelstrom of your own grief, your heart still has room for compassion. The real atrocity lies with Griffon, who warped an innocent soul for his own vile purposes, distorting him into a spectre of his true self. In the face of such darkness, it is you and Max who have risen as beacons of hope, acting with necessary resolve. Your capacity to look through the veil of your suffering—to extend understanding rather than condemnation—this marks the dawn of healing, not just for you but for the realm you nobly serve."

The undercurrent of disdain emanated palpably from Arnold's kin yet stood in stark contrast to Monica's grateful expression. "Thank you, Arnold. Your words are a balm to my soul," she acknowledged with a gentle smile.

Yet before the feeling could settle, Lawrance delivered a sharp reprimand to Arnold with a light slap to the back of his head. "There you go again, Arnold, ever the preacher of mercy and forbearance," he chastised.

Arnold, unfazed, simply retorted, "The queen seemed to appreciate the sentiment."

Ladt Medici scoffed, his words dripping with scorn. "As if Her Majesty would indulge in your fanciful notions," he remarked dismissively. "Your idealism mirrors that of your late father, and it was precisely such naïve talk of peace and compassion that laid him bare to the ruthlessness of less scrupulous souls."

Arnold's response to his mother was as poignant as it was bold. "The day he died, Mother, was the day your heart turned to stone, and you renounced the role of a nurturing parent," he declared, his voice laced with a blend of sorrow and defiance.

Lady Medici's eyes flared with indignation at her son's audacious retort. Though a tempest of offense took hold of her, she tempered the urge to lash out, acutely aware of the need to stay within the queen's favour. With an effort that tightened her jaw, she held back her hand, allowing the tense moment to pass in a silent acknowledgment of the politics at play.