Chapter 9- Dedication

Sitting in Zachs car ouside the church building, I had butterflies starting to whir in my stomach. Zach and Rachel had gone in ahead to help set up morning tea and begin to welcome the youth as they arrived. Rachel had been unsure about leaving me butI had been adament I would be fine.

The church building was large and very contemporary looking. It had seating for 600, large by Dunedin standards and was often hired locally for conventions being held in the city. The kitchen was fabulous, opening on one side to the foyer where a cafe ran through the week, and also through a servery to the auditorium for easy serving of morning tea after services and refreshments at events. The entrance was large you could enter through any of the 3 main glass doors manned by people welcoming on a Sunday. Then the foyer emptied into the auditorium by doors at each end of the foyer. I was breathing deep, trying to imagine myself being successful running this gauntlet of people and emotion. I was starting to feel swamped by the flood of memories, let alone the people I would be seeing today. Tears threatened as I remembered Sundays here with Mum, then last year the hearse pulling up with her casket inside. Dad and I had clung to reach other, feeling the eyes of the church on us, as we watched her drive away. I knew I would have to be brave for Dad, I seriously didn't know if I could do this. My eyes were staring fixed on the back of the passenger seat headrest, zoning out. There had been many people willing to keep house for us, bake and cook for us. For several weeks it felt like I had no where to retreat to, the were always people in out home. Finally I spoke to Dad and he made it known that although it was generous, please no more visits to the home, or cooking, we needed to start finding or way for ourselves again. It was only then that I started to feel that I could recover myself.

Just then there was a sharp rapping on the window and Lara was standing there, pulling open the door. She collapsed into the back seat beside me, banging the behind her.  

"Hey," she said with a grin. "Been in yet? " I shook my head. She wrapped her arms around me and pulled me into a massive fierce hug. "We can do this, I won't let you out of my sight," she whispered. She knew exactly what I was feeling without me saying anything.

Then letting me go, she pushed me away a bit to look at me. "Let me see you, wow you look great. Love the killer heels."

I had spent sometime considering what to wear and had decided on classic elegance. A white pencil fitting dress that stopped just above my knees, a modern short navy jacket that fitted fit to my waist, and flared out, with white floral top stitching on the outside of one sleeve, climbing up one arm. My only break with formality were the white heels, that had silver covering over the square heel. Higher than I normally wore anywhere else.

"Thanks" I said, " Are you alone? I felt sure that you would have Ryan with you. " She sighed, "if only. That gorgeous man had to work. He may join us for lunch. Are you still going to Great Taste? " It was a popular buffet restaurant in town. "Yes we are and, ah.. Max is joining us. "

She grabbed my arm in excitement. "arggh! Spill... really? You guys seem to be doing so well." She sighed. "Are you seeing him now? As in 'seeing him'?" she made speech marks in the air with her hands.

I laughed, "I guess," I blushed, "I really enjoyed being out with him on Friday, then I saw him at the mall yesterday." I took a drop breath before confiding in her, "He said that I was gorgeous and he wanted to keep seeing me. I was also amazed that he mentioned he felt a real connection with me that he had never felt before. " If we hadn't been confined in the car I am sure Lara would have been jumping up and down, as it was she jiggled all over the back seat, making a high pitched noise, grabbing my hands.

"How romantic," she gasped, calming a little she looked at me, "and..." I didn't understand what she meant. "What more are you after now, I thought I was sharing?"