Chapter 31- Wedding Party

The day had been long and emotional. The party after the ceremony had gone into the small hours. Everyone danced and enjoyed themselves.  Andrew's bagpipes were passed around as first Alex then Max thought they could remember one  pipe tune or another. It was the first time I'd seen the boys play. Alex was good but,  for me, seeing Max play, his fingers flying over the notes, made me want to get him alone all the more. 

His eyes sparkled and danced as people stomped on the floor and clapped in time. Then  he played more haunting tunes as some people danced and others talked.

Max's music seemed to capture some of the sadness I felt as I thought of Mum writing to me and knowing that no matter how hard she fought the cancer, she would  never see this day.  Having the letter she wrote in my hand seemed to help a little but also bought the fact she was missing into focus a little more poignantly.

Dad slipped up beside me putting his arm round my shoulders.  "I wish you all the best.  It seems that you have made a great choice and his family will play a big part in your  life." I heard the sadness in Dad's voice.  I put my arm around his waist  as I stood beside him.  Looking up at him I said, "I know they're great.  But I'll always need my Dad. We will always be close and that will keep Mum close too." He squeezed his eyes  tight, kissing my forehead, "You always were wise.  I love you Cass, enjoy your party. "

I had met so many new people.  Amber, Max's school friend and designer was there. She was an elegantly dressed, stunning woman. When Max introduced us,  Amber seemed a little uncertain at first.  But as soon as I started sharing how blown away I was by our rings,  the bracelet and the dresses,  she seemed to relax and began sharing her story.  I was really interested to know where she had got her inspiration for the things she had created for us. 

Max and I had been locking eyes all night but with greater frequency in the past hour and I knew I wanted to somehow get away and for us to be together. Just at that moment Max slid his arms around me and held me.  I couldn't help the sigh that escaped my lips. 

I leant back on his chest and closed my eyes.  He leant down to me,  "Well Mrs McLeod are you ready to get out of here? " When I nodded with a degree of relief,  he smiled. I thought it would take us sometime to farewell and thank everyone again for the awesome night. 

But Max leant around behind to the sound system, turned it off, and announced to the diminishing crowd,  "I know you all probably want to kiss me goodnight, but sad news. Its NOT going to happen." There were good natured laughs around the room as Max added. "Cass and I are off now.  Thanks to each of you for all you've done to make today a success."

Right then he grabbed my hand and pulled  me straight  down the hall.  

There were choruses of, "Hey, wait a minute. " But it seemed Max wasn't having any of it. As he strode along I was grateful for the near thigh high split in the  skirt or I wouldn't have been able to keep up with his long stride.  He didn't stop until we were heading up to the apartment that Alex and him shared,  still holding my hand. I was slightly out of breath and giggling, "I thought the goodbyes would have taken all night.  I guess that was one way of escaping."

"I know you. You are too gracious by far and would have wanted to thank everyone and you're probably right. But I wanted you to myself too much to let that happen."

I hadn't had a chance to talk with Max about any of the big issues yet. But as he led me through the door of his unit, he told me that Alex had been given a spot on the national basketball side,  with a possible signing to the US college league. Alex was off at the end of the week so had packed and moved all his things out of the unit.  Meaning we could have the place to ourselves as long as we wanted it.