Chapter 16- The Date

Cassies POV

I walked back into the restaurant towards the table where the waitress had sat Max and I. I had made a bathroom trip to gather my courage, before we'd even taken our seats.

Max and I had come to town in his vehicle and we had enjoyed relaxed conversation on the way in. But there was something about the formality of a restaurant and thinking about sitting across from Max all night that had my stomach in knots.

He looked great, wearing a suit jacket, no tie and a light blue dress shirt that made his eyes bluer and more intense than they usually seemed. There was something sexy about thinking of him dressing and getting himself looking so good ready to see me that made my stomach flip.

I got to the table realising that Max's eyes had followed me as I crossed the room, which didn't do anything to settle my nerves. I smiled shyly at him as I slid into my seat. I had choosen to wear a comfortable loose fitting oversize cream jumper, coming off the shoulder slightly showing the tight fitting singlet top I had on underneath, with jeans and boots. I had left my hair out, something I wasn't that used to, as I normally kept my hair up when I was teaching. So I reached up and swept it all over one shoulder.

Searching desperately for a topic of conversation that would be safe, I burst out, "Do you come here often?" It wasn't til the words were out of my mouth that I realised what I was asking. But I couldn't take it back now.

"Well," Max said with a tight smile, "I have been here before, but is that what you really wanted to know? are you fishing? You only have to ask. "

I'd done it now, but not wanting to appear to weaken and back down I had to continue now. He thought I was intentionally fishing into how many other dates he'd bought here. Even though this was not the direction I had intended when I started. I plunged on with a deep breath, " Only if you want to say, " I said with a shrug, tracing the pattern on the table cloth with a fingernail for distraction.

Max sighed, "Yes Cassie I have bought others here, at different times. What were they? girlfriends? No I've never had anything steady with anyone." My face must have registered my surprise, because Max instantly smiled back at me.

"Why would that surprise you? " He must have known how awkward I would feel trying to answer that. He picked up his drink, leaning back in his seat to watch me as I tried to find the words to answer him.

"I don't know, just because of the way you are with me, confident and assured. I would have thought you would have had something long term. "

"Confident, self assured? is that all I have going for me? "

I knew he was playing with me now. I looked down feeling the colour rush to my face as I moved in my seat uncomfortably.

"You seriously want me to answer that? " I said softly, our eyes locked as the intensity at the table between us moved to a whole new level.

"You could," he stopped speaking and leant up onto his elbows, clearing his throat before he continued, but his voice still came out husky "always show me later if you thought there was anything else to recommend me. "

As I let my mind wander to what that would feel like, I also noticed some colour in Maxs face, as my eyes dropped to his lips, just as our food arrived.

"I hope you didn't mind me ordering. I got a few different options." I groaned, it all looked divine, but after the lunch we had enjoyed I didn't know how I could manage anything. There was a plate of lemon chicken, a spicy beef dish, then another waitress arrived, smiling at Max and put a bowl of rice in the middle of the table, followed by a plate of hot chips in front of him. We both murmured our thanks and were left with the food.