Chapter 8- Holidays Begin

Cassies POV

Sunlight danced on the harbour. Sparkling like an extravagant display of priceless diamonds, out there for all to enjoy. I don't know how I could ever live anywhere else in Dunedin, let alone the world. I loved this place. I was sitting in my favourite chair in the house, having toast, with my second cup of tea for the day. I would probably have at least 2 more before I moved far. My head was mildly sore, but not bad. I had only ever been a social drinker but last night I had had several glasses more than I normally would. I smiled as I thought of the way Max had given Ross angry glares as he came and served us drinks with a warm smile. Ross had taken every opportunity to hold my hand, touch me and be familiar, but Ross was like that with most people, and I didn't feel it was sleezey at all. He was a genuine friend. I realised that he would like to take things further with me. He repeated his offer again last night to go out. But there was just no attraction there for me, he had more of the brother vibe.

I didn't want to spoil the calm of the morning, at the beginning of a blissful 2 week stretch of no school, by thinking about Max, but I couldn't help myself. As I looked out over the paddocks my eye following where they plunged steeply down the hill to the harbour below, I couldn't help the flood of memories from last night. I had been so annoyed by how possessive and guarded he had been when Ross was saying goodnight. Also I would love to hold Maxs hand, my heart speed a Bray at the thought, but not because he wanted to announce to all on lookers that I was with him. But dancing with Max had affected me like nothing else I had ever experienced. The way he was built, the way he moved, and the way he seemed to be able to read my response to him and what I enjoyed.

I had expected to feel more angry about what he had told me about the night of the protest, but in light of the kiss we had shared, how we met seemed to feel less important somehow. The passion we stirred in each other was very real. But was there anymore depth to it than that? Did we share the same goals in life, did we have the same priorities? Then again none of that seemed important when I saw him coming towards me across the dance floor. I dreamed off into the distance, leaning my head back. Just remembering how it had made me feel, made me squirm almost involuntarily in my chair. He had looked so hot, turning heads in the club all around him, yet he came straight for me. Ha, I laughed out loud to myself, I could imagine how Lara would be beating me over the head telling me to snap out of it! live life, don't over think it, embrace opportunities! 'Go for it!' Being her mantra in life.

But whatever this thing with Max was, it would clearly be over tomorrow, once he had been to church. So no point in stressing over what might have been. Enjoy the memory of how he made me feel. I sighed.

As I stood at the sink and rinsed my cup, I cringed at how I had made the invite to church sound. Never in all my years of going to Church, right back to when I was a small child, had I ever heard anyone encourage me to issue such a rude invitation., to church. ..To Church! unbelievable... I had a feeling of disappointment that when Max saw this part of my life tomorrow, that he wouldn't want to have anything more to do with me. But last night had been so much fun, I was determined not to spend the whole day in a total funk. I sent Rachel a quick text, asking what her plans were for the day, knowing that Lara wouldn't want to be disturbed for the better part of the day, considering the night she'd had!

Hearing a noise behind me, I turned to find Dad coming out of his study. He smiled at me, "Hey darling girl, welcome to your holidays. How was your night out? " and as he went by to the fridge he leant over giving me a quick kiss on the forehead and a hug.

I smiled, "Hey Dad, thanks. It was a good night." I had answered this way on many occasions, to cover for a heavy heart, but realising that this time the statement was entirely true, knocked me for a 6. Unbelieveable, when did that happen? I shrugged and laughed briefly. Dad looked back at me, now seated at the table with cereal and yoghurt. "No, I mean it, truly, I had a great time. " I smiled.