Chapter 22- Out of character

Cassies POV

I finally let myself go into the bedroom and look at the time on my phone. I had woken too early, eaten and walked the length of the beach and back again. (There was a reason they called it Long Beach.)

But I couldn't hold out any longer I had to know if Max was still in Dunedin.

I picked up my phone and hit the stand-by button. There it was glowing against the light in the dull room. 11.11am. I sat stunned. He was gone. The emptiness that I had staved off for the past 3 days in some false hope that time would stand still and this moment wouldn't ever arrive, came back with a vengeance. The bizarre thing about this whole situation was that my reaction to his news had said louder than any words, that I loved him. But probably the only person that knew that was Dad, and he would never say.

I knew I needed to get busy. Just knowing that he had still been in Dunedin over last 3 days, even though I had been out here, had been a consolation to me. if I didn't get busy soon I knew my world would fall of its axis.

So I packed up my few belongings, checked everything was locked and spent half an hour cleaning hard out. clean and locked up and I started back to town. Knowing I just couldn't sit at home tonight I pulled over and text Lara as soon as I got reception on my phone.

Looking around Tony's I couldn't see Lara anywhere. I was quite early. Dad had been hanging around my bedroom door at home concerned for me and on the verge of cancelling his plans for the weekend, he had an out of town speaking engagement, but was talking about staying so that he could be here to look out for me.

I couldn't have that so I put on a breezy smile and clubbing gear and headed to the door. He seemed relieved and picked up his suitcase and kissing me goodnight and asked me to call when I got in as we both walked out of the house to the garage, I decided spur of the moment, to get Dad to drop me off.

Not seeing Lara anywhere I went in search of Ross. He was thrilled to see me.

" So you have changed your mind and came to have a drink with me after all." I felt a stab in my heart knowing that he was wishing for something I couldn't give anyone other than Max. I shook my head, and said I was meeting a friend. But undeterred he grabbed us a drink each and signalled to the other barman on duty that he would be back up if it got busy.

We laughed and chatted for sometime. Before I knew it I had consumed more drink than I normally would in a whole night, just sitting talking. Then I realised that I was gulping my way through the bottle of wine. When my phone beeped, Ross looked disappointed, "So you are having company after all?"

" Did you thinking that I was joking," I said smiling and shaking my head. The text was brief, apologies from Lara saying that something had come up and asking if would it be ok for me to go out with her tomorrow or give Zach and Rach a call? There was no way she could have any idea that I had already left home. I frowned. "A problem?," Ross queried.

"No not really, it seems that my plans have fallen through." I reached and collected my bag off the seat beside me. He leant over taking my hand with just a hint too much familiarity and it raised the hair on my arms. "Don't go, I can sit with you for some of the night and I can look out for you, you get the pick of the tables." His arm swinging wide around the bar. He was right. Tony's was set up on 2 tiers, The dance floor being central and visible to both. The table Ross had got for us was a great vantage point and close to the bar. I guess being here beats being at home alone, especially the way I was feeling. I shrugged my shoulders. Max,... No, I stopped myself, not tonight, no pain or 'what might have beens'. This was the life that I needed to live for myself, make my own way again. Calling Zach and Rach wasn't high on my list either, being around a happy couple right now wasn't what my night needed.