Chapter 20- Coping with a Night Out

Maxs POV

She looked amazing. Maybe she had coped with the news better than I expected. When I picked her up I didn't mention me going away, and neither did she. Like we mutually agreed to talk about other things.

Now here she was leaning against the kitchen counter at Traces and Daves place looking amazing. She had the most beautiful blonde hair, and tonight she had left it out, it hung down her back. It looked so soft I wanted to reach out and touch it. The top she was wearing was fitted and had a low neck line, with skinny jeans and stunning silver heels. She had just laughed at something Trace had said and my eyes fell to the swell of her chest and I had to suppress a groan, just then Cassie turned to look at me. There was a question in her eyes, and I realised that while I had been taking a good look at Cassie that Dave had come in, and asked me a question, but I was blowed if I could remember a word of what he had said. So I plunged in saying, "Yeah a drink would be great." Dave laughed at me and slapped my back as he went past to grab 2 cans from the fridge. Then we headed through into the living room, but not before I took one more look at Cassie and I shook my head as I wondered what would become of us over the next few months.

Dave wandered over to the TV and flicked it on. "All good with you?" he asked lightly. I gave a humourless laugh, "About as good as things are with you." I pointed my finger at him and said, "No you don't, you don't need to bother denying it. I know what happened last week. How are you holding up?"

"You know how it is. You want something for long enough that you start believing that it is yours by right. Trace and I want children for sure but we have been focused on it for so long now, that when it almost happens it knocks ya for a 6, for sure. I just need to remind myself how fortunate I am. I have Trace in my life, I enjoy the home that we have made here, and I love my job." He shrugged his shoulders and looked over at the television that was showing news highlights of the day. He took a long drink from his can and said pointing at the tv, "Don't know how a guy who sings on stage to packed audiences around the world can be so media shy." Just then on the screen a small group of people appeared heavily surrounded with what looked like body guards and coats held up for privacy.

I laughed, "Is that Jon Adams back in the country again? They say that he won't even let them take publicity shots to promo his tours. I guess he has every reason to be media shy with every other person these days having some form of recording device and being able to throw your image up on fb to go viral! Oh to have that problem and the kind of income he has, not that I'm struggling." Jo Adams lastest song was playing in the background of the news story,

"Ever feel like You're falling......emptiness all around

Helpless feeling, all hope is lost......You're not alone

Trust me, You can take my hand you're not alone

Trust me, You can You talk I'll listen..."

I couldn't help feeling that this is what I had told Cassie and yet here I was leaving, it didn't really seem right and yet I was asking her to accept it? I smiled briefly as I thought about money, the bonus' that Mike had told me would be coming my way with the time I spent in the Solomons, had come as a complete surprise. It certainly wasn't why I was taking it on, and with Cassie in my life now I found my mind turning more and more to how to get out of my commitment.

Dave had known that this was coming up but he reacted much like Dad when I told him, "Bloody Hell, they can do that? Ship you off overseas with less than a weeks notice?"

"Apparently, although my shots are all up to date, I did need to put a rush job through on the permit and paper work,but Mike is confident that they will fast track it for me. 10.30 on Friday at Momona Airport. Dunedin to Christchurch, then onto Auckland where I catch an international flight out to Honiara at 5.30pm. It will be tight but if there are no delays I should be able to do check-in in time.