Chapter 10- All on the table

Copyright c Dee J Cooper, 2013

All rights reserved. 

###

Maxs POV

I watched as Cassie stood up front with Lara. Wow. She looked amazing. Her dress was cut to just above her knees, hugging her figure, and I found myself having thoughts about her that were not really appropriate in church. I smiled to myself pleased nobody could read my mind. I suddenly looked around feeling uncomfortable. Zach caught my eye from a few seats across, and the smirk on his face told me that mind reading wasn't necessary for him to know what was on mine. I looked away feeling not the least bit repentant. She was hot, I was pleased I was here, that everyone would know what the deal was. As I reflected on that I realised that other than commenting me on how I was dressed this morning, and how she responded to me physically, she had been very closed down, so maybe the deal wasn't as clear to me as I would like.

There was a good deal of movement as people came and went from up the front, those waiting were quietly talking amongst themselves. The musicians had started quietly playing some background music and it for all the world sounded as good as any professional group you would hear live at a club.

I watched as a tall, distinguished, greying haired man approached Cassie and Lara. He smiled widely at them both, placing a hand on each of their shoulders, bowing their heads he prayed. People moved passed me, I could see all that was going on, one of the up sides of sitting in the front row. Although from time to time I noticed people looking over at me curiously some even shook my hand as they went back to their seats.

Cassie was finished up the front, as the man finished praying he reached over and gave her a long emotional hug. I found myself hoping that didn't come standard with the praying deal, and that it was reserved just for her.

As Cassie came back towards me, instead of going to her seat she stopped right in front of me. There were so many people standing around me, that I didn't feel out of place standing to meet her. She wiped her eyes one last time and looked up at me. I reached for her waist and gently slid my arms around behind her. She didn't resist in the least. "Thank you for coming, it means more to me than you could ever know.," she whispered looking down. I had to lean in closer to catch it all. "It is my pleasure," I whispered back, "Its a first for me, going on a Church date." I chuckled but finished by saying, "You do know I believe in the guy upstairs, don't you? but I've just never been a real Church goer."

My body started to warm to how close she was standing to me. She smelt as beautiful as she looked, until I met Cassie I seriously didn't think I was a guy to be interested in that sort of thing. I pulled her in until my lips contacted her forehead, I kissed her gently. The heels she was wearing meant she was that much taller than she usually was. But it still felt like she fitted against me perfectly. I heard her mutter quietly into my chest, "I know I'm blessed with the friends I have around me, but I feel stronger having you here, thanks. " She laid her hands on my upper arms, holding on tightly. My heart felt ready to burst, she had no idea what that did to me. I felt 10 feet tall and I felt like grabbing a mic and shouting out to the world. Wow, she was really something else.

She slipped her hand into mine, her cheeks still slightly red, and said, "You realize that you don't need to go up the front if you don't want to." We both took our seats. She sat in close to me and I slipped my arm around her.  

"Well I figure you had to be pretty brave to be here today, so I can do this. Its fine. Also I haven't seen anything close to life threatening happening up there, so keep my seat for me, I'll be back," she smiled at my attempt at humor. Just at that moment a voice from the front announced, "Now to dedicate and pray for those that are part of our police force. That as they go out into the community they will be safe, careful and wise in every situation."