Chapter 12 - Meet the family

Cassies POV

I pulled on a pair of pale blue skinny jeans. I had settled on a fitted tshirt showing more of my shape than I would be comfortable with at school, advertising a local band. I brushed my long blonde hair and tied it back. Looking in the mirror, I was a bit disappointed I hadn't got it trimmed before tonight, pulling my ponytail through the back of a cap I pulled it down firmly on my head and was ready to go.

I had loved my week, I thought, as I tied on my light blue converse. Everyday Max had called, we had made plans, and invariably ended the day by having a quiet drink at my place, watching the sun set across the hills, over the harbour.

We had gone ice skating, running, and seen groups of students around town which had sent many a group running off giggling, about Ms Henderson having a 'boyfriend'. We had walked to the top of Mt Cargill on a perfect day, not a breath of wind, stunning views over the city. We enjoyed laughing and talking together.

But when I saw Max on Wednesday he had invited me to come out on Friday and meet his family. I found the thought quite daunting. I didn't know what they would think, if I was good enough for their son, but when I mentioned that Max had just laughed, saying they would love me.

His Mum loved parties apparently, she planned events. So every year she put on a special meal for family and close friends, mid-winter Christmas.

The early settlers in Otago, back in the 1840s, from Scotland, had bought with them the northern hemisphere traditional christmas menu which was a hot meal. I had always thought it a little strange, and admired people who broke with tradition and had a picnic or BBQ on the beach for Christmas instead. The tradition of eating hot turkey, or lamb roast, potatoes, and hot plum pudding continued relentlessly even though December was summer in New Zealand. So sometimes in the middle of winter, around July, people would celebrate with a hot 'Christmas' meal, which made more sense in winter. I had offered to help set up, Max had said he would collect me, but I decided I would just go out and meet him there, less hassle. So he had given me the directions. It had made sense at the time, but what on earth was I thinking? I was so nervous I was starting to feel ill. The meal wasn't until 7.30, but I was heading out at 11am. Max said it would give us plenty of time to help set up and for him to show me round, before spending time getting ready and dressing for dinner.

I threw my change of clothes for dinner into a sports bag and tossed in some random makeup and hair straighteners in case I got inspired, anything was possible after all.

I sent Lara a quick text saying I was off, 'wish me luck.' It was only 2 seconds before I heard my phone beep. Reaching into my bag I read Lara's text and laughed. She insisted that I wear nothing tonight with a hemline past my knees, hair out and curled with night club level makeup.

I was still laughing as I threw my bag in the back, having added another 2 dresses as options to decide when I got there. Then I heard my phone again, I read a message from Lara: 'please, please, hon, Do everything I would do! Don't over think. Have fun! You deserve it.'

I smiled shaking my head. Lara was a great friend, and knew me too well. Since making out in the car park last Sunday, we hadn't done much more than share a brief good night kiss. I bit my bottom lip, I wonder what tonight would bring.

I climbed into my no frills, yet reliable Toyota for the trip out. When Max had described where he lived I was surprised how close his family home was to where Dad and I lived. Taking the top road I had the view of steep green paddocks running down to the edge of the beautiful Otago harbour. There were stands of trees that bent over leaning into the side of the hill, which was evidence of the prevailing wind, rushing up the harbour and over the hill that edged the Otago Peninsula. Setting my trip counter as I went past the place selling free range eggs, Max had said 5 k's more after that.