Chapter 11-The Question

Cassies POV

I could hardly believe everything had gone so smoothly. Max had been amazing. Meeting Dad for the first time had gone so much better than I expected. The emotion of the day and missing Mum had been something that hadn't really surfaced with the pain it once had. Should I feel guilty about that? Was it because Max had been with me the whole time?

The way he had been so watchful of me as we left had choked me up more than once. Rachel was right beside me the whole time going through the crowds at church, and even whispered to me at one point,"He's something else isn't he?" Max seemed to take me being swamped by people in his stride.

Ever since I had been a small child, from the time we first arrived at Harbour Life Church, the church had raised me. When Dad had a meeting or Mum was talking with someone after Church, one of the ladies would swoop in and look after me. There were many precious people there that I knew well and loved. But the same as anywhere, there were an equal number of people ready to judge me for what I had done in the past year. I had found I needed to put some space between me and the poignant reminders of my time with mum. Just so that I could set my life on track. After today I think that I could probably start going back from time to time. I know it would be a blessing to Dad, but more than that, he would be reassured that I was making progress in my grieving for Mum. She had been the most elegant, beautiful person inside and out that I had ever known. People said that I looked like a younger image her, this was probably bittersweet for Dad.

We had a great time at lunch. we all laughed about how Zach had dobbed Max in so that he received a public welcome when he was up the front at church. Everyone generously avoided any mention of the welcome I had received, which had seriously almost felt like a circus at times.

I caught Laras eyes several times turning to the door, but no sign of Ryan. My heart went out to my friend. For all her confidence and energy she really put herself out there time and again for relationships but was yet to find the right guy for her.

Max insisted on paying for lunch. We left the others and headed for his big black four wheel drive vehicle. We were sitting ready to go when he turned to me, "Well, I have loved my day ... so far." He paused. Fully turning to me leaning back on his head rest he said, "but would it be really cheesy to say I don't want the day to end yet?"

I smiled at him, "No, I kinda feel the same. " 

"Well that's something I guess. "

I hesitated, what did that mean?

"What did you have in mind? " 

"I understand that you ladies expect us guys to always have a plan but I didn't have anything particular in mind."

I thought for moment, anything too energetic was out of the question, unless I went home to change.  

"Well as I am not dressed for much more than Church, how do you feel about taking me home and I'll make us a drink and get changed first? I could always beat you in a game of cards. "

Max gave me a cheeky grin, "Sounds great. We have been out together by default several times, but would you let me take you out for dinner tonight?"

I laughed, "I will probably only be having a coffee after that lunch, I am seriously full. I take it after all that you've seen today, you haven't been put off yet?"

Max looked over at me staring deeply into my eyes, I felt warmth spreading through my body, my stomach clench as his eyes dropped to my lips. Then he started to talk as he came slowly closer, "Just a question, probably the first of many, " by now he was so close that I could feel his breath on my cheek, "have you managed to drive many guys away by dropping all that on them, or did I get special treatment?" "