Chapter 18- Time with Friends

Maxs POV

Work today was slow. I was on my 2nd day of early starts then I was rostered for 4 days of day shift.

Cassie had spent the day yesterday with her Dad and seeing Zach and Rachel. I hoped to catch up with her for a meal tonight, although she was seeing Trace for lunch.

Work was only feeling slow because there was a place I'd really rather be, and she had long hair and,

"Ouch!" I startled grabbing the back of my head with one hand and the clipboard with the other. I pulled the clipboard hard and when I heard the laughing I knew exactly who was behind me, knocking me about.

I growled, "What do you want Ryan? Did you sort that last call out? "

"Chill out," he said not loosing his good natured edge. "All good, the restraining order had been breached. When I caught up with the looser I checked and he had a couple of outstanding warrants for arrest so. ...Score!" Ryan took a run at a nearby wall preparing a basketball lay-up and jumped sucessfully scoring a dummy shot.

I shook my head but glad for the distraction. "I hope you processed him and didn't leave it for Steve."

I knew my friend all too well. He grinned, " I'm hurt," he said hitting a closed fist to his chest and closing his eyes in mock pain. Then dropping all dramatics he sat in the chair opposite me and said, "No, all done. What's with the staring off into space? Not like you to be wasting time, is there a certain pair of....ahhh legs on your mind? ah?" He shook his head chuckling.

Ryan leaned forward screwing up his nose as he grabbed an apple off my desk he bit into he said, "This all the food you've got? " It was my turn to laugh, "Its good for ya. Don't feel you have to have it. "

I continued to shake my head as he left the room and I got back to what I had been doing. Just then Ryan stuck his head back in, "Oh that's right, knew there was a reason I had come in. Mike, big boss man wants to see you. " I glared at him, and quickly went to stand up but before I could get far Mike walked through the door.

Hiking his thumb out the door towards the corridor so that Ryan would take off, Mike pulled my door shut and took the seat opposite me.

I thought back and couldn't remember Mike ever having come into my office like this, so I tossed my pen down and leant back, curious to see what was up.

"You would think by now that I would know not to get Ryan to play message boy. He would forget his own child in a burning building. "

Mile chuckled at his own joke, but I honestly found it a bit gruesome and wasn't sure that Ryan was quite that hopeless, considering Mike had agreed to him stepping into acting Sergeant while I was away, I hoped not.

"What can I do for you?"

"Well I hope you have everything in order. I just got word that your trip has been moved up."

He clearly looked annoyed. When I had put my name forward over 18 months ago to go out to the Solomon Islands Mike and I had been told that we could expect replacement personel at the station, but this wasn't always possible depending what officers were qvailable or who was on annual leave.

"The team leader currently in the Solomons has just had a family emergency. As of today you are off duty for your regulation 4 days stand down and you fly out Friday. Technically you will cover the rest of his rotation with the Peace Keepers which is 2 months, then your own as team leader. Whether that is 3 or 6 months you will have to sort out with the powers that be. I am hoping they dont leave us short for that long. "

I couldn't respond. I was stunned. Now not only did I have to tell Cassie immediately but we would have no time to decide what it would mean for us, or to adjust. I leant forward and hunched over my desk a little. Suddenly I wasn't feeling that great.