Chapter 3- Sports Game

Cassie's POV

I woke late on Saturday, enjoying the luxury of lying in bed. I had plans to go round to Zachs flat to have lunch with him and Rachel. I heard Dad humming along to something on the radio, as he was doing the kitchen clean up.

I was looking forward to my day. Friday mornings I always got to school early enough, so that I could plan the next week, leaving my weekend blissfully empty to relax. Saturday netball didn't start until after the holidays.

I jumped out of bed, rushing into the bathroom, humming under my breath. Just as I reached the basin it hit me, what my plans for tonight were. I looked at myself in the mirror, groaning as I let my head drop. Max seemed like a great guy, but he was coming here, tonight, to pick me up, and he was the only one that knew just how caught up in last weeks protest I had become. I just truly hoped he continued to respect my need for privacy, particularly in front of Dave and Tracie.

The day passed quickly, meeting Zach and Rachel for coffee. They wanted all the news about the protest, where I had gone, how I had gotten home. Zach had sent several texts, none of which I answered from the holding cell. They had been so concerned for me. 

I felt guilty not revealing everything, but sitting in the cell, I had seen everything I had worked so hard to achieve almost slip away. If Max had decided to press charges..? I shuddered at the thought.

Now sitting at home, I found myself flicking through a magazine on the coffee table, but not really reading it. I was painfully watching the hands of Dads vintage wall clock, crawl around as I waited for Max. Not being able to concentrate on any of the articles I lost interest in the magazine and tossed it back down. I had dressed in a short black skirt, a short red singlet top, with one of my favourite light blue shirts over the top. The blue fabric was slightly transparent so you could see my flat abs, and the tummy button piercing that I got years ago, in a moment of rebellion, but I loved it and it allowed me to break out of teacher mode at the weekends. I had tied the shirt at the front. I didn't know if I should wear heels or not, so I compromised, wearing a low heeled pair of red boots, with a fun sparkle in them.

Dad wondered into the room with coffee in hand,

"You want one?" He asked raising his mug slightly.

"No, I'm all good", I answered. I had a strange feeling of butterflies in my stomach, thinking that Max would be here soon. I am a reasonably confident person, normally fairly unflappable. I was not used to feeling this way at all. I didn't want Dad to guess how I was feeling, so I kept the smile on my face bright. I didn't want him to attach too much importance to the night, as I know he had been hoping for sometime that I would meet someone.

"Are you driving out to Daves place?" Dad asked me, unable to hide the concern showing in his eyes. He did such a great job at giving me the space I needed, yet interested enough with parental concern. It was a balance that was important to both of us, as we wanted to be able to co-exist and be a support to one another.

"Ah no...," I felt strangely uncertain saying, "Someone is picking me up."

Dad's eyes widened a little with curiosity, but he kept it in check. Saying no more on the subject he walked over to the ranch sliders, leaning a little on the wall gazing out at the view over the rolling green Dunedin hillside, as it ran down to the Otago harbour.

The view was stunning. We could see right down the length of the long narrow Otago Harbour. Breathtaking. It was a view that Mum had found so comforting right to the end. She would watch the ships come and go by day, and the distant road traffic running out to the port. Then by night, to the right of the 180º views, the guiding harbour lights flashing on and off, reflecting their red colour on the water. Then casting your eyes to the left of the larger picture windows, were the lights of Dunedin City.