Chapter 7- The invitation

Maxs P.O.V

Well that went better than I expected. Ryan had argued against leaving until he checked with Cassie to see if it was ok. I told him if it came to it, I could always use my cell to call a taxi.

Now we were sitting in the front room of Cassies house that had awesome views over the harbour. I am sure at any other time I would have found it breath taking but right at this moment I had other things on my mind. Some questions I felt I wanted to ask Cassie but more importantly some I needed to ask myself. Key amongst them was why I was concerned, let alone interested in why the guy at the bar kept hitting on Cassie. Why did I feel so crazy angry? Why did I instinctively reach out to hold her hand as we left the club?

Cassie had just bought me a coffee, there was no lighting on in the living area but the light from the kitchen was spilling through from the open plan kitchen dining area so there was enough light, but not too much to obscure the view through the large picture windows down the harbour and back over the lights of the city.

I chuckled into my mug. I remained standing as I heard Cassie curl up on the leather sofa behind me.  

"What is it? " she said cautiously.  

" I had a great time tonight, " 

"I sense a 'but' coming? " 

"No, well not really. I was just thinking about this beautiful woman I danced with tonight. She seemed quite a different person to the one I've met on other occasions. "

I half turned to look over at her. My heart hammered in my chest. She looked so beautiful curled up on the sofa. Her eye makeup giving definition to their depth and colour. She looked so small and I just wanted to take her in my arms and protect her, feel her against me. But I wasn't sure how she would react to what I had said.

She smiled, holding her cup with 2 hands close to her face and said, "Different in a good way? " 

As she locked eye's with me I sensed a playfulness in her. "You've seen me in quite a variety of places really, school and...I guess. .." her voice drifted off and her eyes moved to stare out the window.

I was about to speak when she continued in a soft voice. "Can I ask you something? " I moved to sit on the leather sofa beside her. Hooking a foot up under me and turned towards her. She was clearly getting up the courage to broach something with me and I wanted her to be able to ask anything she wanted. I rested my arm along the top of the seat behind her, hoping she wouldn't pull away as I gently rested my hand on the back of her head.  

"The first time we met," she turned towards me, "What did you really think of me? I mean I was protesting and all, it wasn't a good look for a local teacher. "

"Well, I have come to trust my instincts over the time I have been in the Police, and I knew pretty much straight away that you were there for genuine protest rather than causing trouble," I sighed. "So often these things start out of genuine concern by some, but others who are just looking to disrupt the peace, and are... What we call, professional protesters. " I gave a dry laugh, "that is why protests can be a dangerous way to make a point, you could have been hurt. " 

She looked up at me, her head now leaning fully back on the sofa, against my hand, I threaded my fingers into her soft hair.

She closed her eyes, sighing. I had to work hard not to groan out loud and pull her into my arms. But not being sure why she had melted down so badly the night I drove her home from Daves, I knew I needed to tread carefully. The buzz of the drinks, and dancing at the club was still very much in my system, and I sensed that Cassie was feeling less guarded with me than she did the last time we met.