Chapter 30- Coming Together

Too much had happened.  My head was fit to burst my hands were pressed on each side of my face and I couldn't stop grinning. That is how Lara found me when she rushed into the room, closely followed by Rachel and Alyssa.

"He did it, didn't he!   Asked you and you said ...YES!" Lara jumped up and down excitedly grabbing my hands. Rachel wrapped me in a gentle hug. "I am so happy for you.  You look amazing."

There had been so much to think about that it hadn't crossed my mind, but the dress Max had sent me was clearly meant as a wedding dress! I smiled at the excitement on the girls faces. 

"Do you like my wedding dress?" I asked as I did a twirl. They all burst out with comments. I got caught up in the preparations for going  downstairs. Alyssa grabbed her hair irons to touch up my hair and Lara did the same to my makeup. I loved this time with them.  I could hear the distant sound of pipes outside the window. It was my guess that this was Andrew's way of celebrating the news.   Alyssa looked out and and confirmed it was her Dad. I smiled a little embarrassed at the thought of what me becoming part of the family meant for Max and I.

I was surrounded by music.  There was a track playing that was wafting up the stairs, and it filled me with hope for what was to come in my life  with Max.

I started humming along to Ezra Vines song, "Celeste,"

"My girl’s a switchblade

a bright light on the cityscape 

wherever she goes I’m gonna chase

You’re something out of a dream

messing with my head

I’ve been looking for you are ya hiding?

cos I like the way you’re calling to me

your spell upon me

you’re something out of a dream

and I like it, though I fight it."

By the end of the chorus we were all singing along and joining in the repeated hand claps. Finally pulling ourselves together Lara announced, "Ok ladies we can't delay this  any longer,  let's get her downstairs to her man! "

They had all surprised me, taking off the various tops and jackets that they were wearing to reveal that they  all had the same design dresses on. They were made of a soft gold fabric with the McLeods hunting tartan as a narrow bunched, off the shoulder collar. They looked awesome.  Unlike my fitted floor length skirt their skirts were fitted and fell to just below their knees.  The organising of this event blew my mind.  Apparently I had Jo-An to thank for the beautiful flowers, seasonal, fragrant ones surrounding the tall lilies.  The girls had similar arrangements to mine, just that mine was more extravagent.

We all started down the stairs but I was met half way by Jo-An. She spontaneously pulled me into a warm hug."Welcome to the family darling girl.  I look forward to the years ahead and getting to know and loving you like Max does." She placed her hands on each side of my face and gave me a loving kiss on the forehead. "I now know how insensitive my comments were when you visited us for the first time. I know I can't take the place of your Mum. But if there is ever anything you want to talk about, ask, or just come for coffee, I'm all yours.  Just  as Max is my son, you have my heart as a daughter."

I felt all choked up at the thought that Max's Mum had opened her heart to me. I went to speak but couldn't get words out past the lump in my throat. She held up her hand, clearly choked up too, "This is not a day for anymore  tears.  Go on down and get married to my gorgeous boy. Love you."  She gave my hand one last squeeze as she went down the stairs to join the other guests.