Chapter 19

As the rays of sunshine found their way through the curtains, I slowly opened my eyes and looked around me.

I woke up to an empty bed.

I got up and took a quick shower, brushed my teeth and put on some fresh clothes.

I went down to the kitchen and found a singing Jungkook preparing breakfast.

"It smells wonderful", I smiled hugging him from the back.

"Morning, sleepy head", he said with his raspy morning voice and continued to mix eggs inside a bowl. I leaned onto the counter and took a bite of the cheese he previously cut.

"What are the plans for today?" I yawned.

"I have some sudden work. I won't stay long. After that we can do whatever you want," he pecked my lips.

"Sorry, Hyun. It's important," he said in a sadder tone, because he couldn't make out the expression on my face not wanting me to be dissapointed.

"I believe it's important. It's okay, honey", I reassured and we sat down to eat.

Jungkook didn't talk much this morning. I guess he's not a morning type of person. The silence was not even uncomfortable. Sometimes the conversation would be necessary.

Jungkook soon got ready and left. Although I was dying of curiosity, I let him go. I spent the rest of the day with the twins. In such a short time, they became close to my heart.

JUNGKOOK'S POV

I was woken up by a call in the morning. I cursed under my breath and answered only to be ordered to appear in my company. I looked over at Hyun as she slept so peacefully next to me. I brushed her hair off her face and planted a kiss on her head before I got ready and headed to finish what I had.

I hated having to leave her, but the people I was in contact with wouldn't leave me alone. I couldn't risk her finding out. Leading a double life was tiring. Since I met her, there was nothing in this world that I wanted more than a normal life. I've been in this too long and too deep for quitting to even be considered an option. Behind me I had people who counted on me, and a father in my subconscious who would not be happy if I let everything go.

I was caged.

"It better be important", I said grumpily entering the meeting room. This seemed like a normal building that was supposed to be the center of my father's company, but in my world, it was a gathering place for mafia negotiations.

"We haven't seen each other for a long time, boss. We thought you forgot about us," an older man of Italian origin approached me and extended his hand. I returned the greeting giving him a handshake. He was my father's right hand back in the days.

"I told you it wasn't the right time for work, Lorenzo," I said sharply.

"This might interest you", a vicious smile appeared on his face.

"I hope it's not something related to migrants again. Human trafficking is not the most interesting thing in the world," I muttered remembering how he always used to participate in those kinds of business.

"Way better", he smirked and explained what he had to.

"Cooperation with the Yakuza?", I looked at him.

"If we succeed in this, Jungkook, we will achieve everything our ancestors wanted."

"Direct connection with Japan does not sound bad at all, but it is not harmless. Do you think we really need it? We are not a target for anyone and we are doing good on our own."

"You have no idea what power we would have. We would control the whole Korea. Over time, we would take over the Government, the police, all the institutions would work for us. We would control everything," he laughed devilishly.

"The decision is up to you. In a month, Lee Minho will be waiting for your call in Seoul. He is expecting confirmation."

"I'll think about it," I shrugged my shoulders and said it as lightly as if I didn't care.

"Jungkook, you know-" he began and I cut him off.

"You have to understand that some things from the past are meant to stay there. My father may not have made it this far, but he would certainly think twice if he were in my place. I will consider whether it would be the smartest decision. In the meantime, Marco" , I turned to the man standing next to Lorenzo, "I want you to take over the transport of those racing cars I mentioned to you a while ago", I rolled my eyes.

"Taehyung is really into 'Fast and Furious' lately. He wants a street race for his birthday," I sighed in annoyance, ", besides Min wants the cocaine as soon as possible. He has found some serious costumers. Ot would be a waste if the deal breaks."

"The trucks were sent to the ship, boss. I took care of that. By the end of the night, they should be on the border."

I nodded and left the building.

Power, wealth and immunity really sounded tempting, but deep down I knew it was the most dangerous step. I consider that I have done enough in my field of activity. It's time to retreat. Petty crimes like smuggling racing cars across the border were enough to keep us from getting bored. Be that as it may, at this moment, I did not yearn for great things. I wanted peace for myself and my brothers.

In the courtyard of the villa, I was greeted by a sight that melted my heart. Hyunsan braided Jisoo's hair, while Sehun painted some rocks. She was a miracle of a woman. She had the power to get under everyone's skin, even the youngests'.

"Mind if I join?", I approached after spying on them for a few minutes.

"Jungkook-oppa! Look!", Jisoo extended her tiny hand towards me pointing at a daisy bracelet.

"Hyun-noona taught me to make them!", she said proudly smiling at her.

"It's beautiful, Jiso," I kissed her little head. As soon as I sat down, Sehun already gave me a stone and a brush. He was stained with paint but he didn't bother with it.

"Draw," he commanded cutely, making me chuckle.

"Everything okay?", Hyunsan whispered in my ear and I just nodded, pecking her lips, earning a few sounds of disgust from Sehun. I drew what I knew best. The image of a butterfly dawned on the stone. I allowed myself to remember this moment as one of the most magical I've experienced. The feeling of warmth engraved deep within my soul. I saw a new version of a family, the one you create yourself, the one worth fighting for all over again. It felt so natural. It felt so normal.