Duties

Sophia age 18, 5 years ago at The Justice Oak Pack - planet Solar

"Soph?" can you pop to my office please?. A mind link from my father disturbs my flow as I shove the book mark against my page and close the text book. "On my way pops".

I've been studying various levels of Wolfen and supernatural law for as long as I can remember, I hate to be disturbed when I'm in a good rhythm, but if this conversation is leading up to what I hope then it's more than worth the interruption.

I reach my fathers office and knock before he becons me in. "Well chicka, your results are in!".

I take a deep breath trying to steady myself. "The Alpha King wants to expedite your training so you can join him in the Royal Kingdom as soon as possible". 

He looks proud as punch but at the same time I can see the tell tale signs of sadness forming in his eyes.

I bite back my happiness and pull him in to a hug. It's a bitter sweet feeling. Internally I am screaming with joy but I can also feel the deep seated pain that my father feels knowing I will be leaving my childhood home.

"I'm so proud Sophia". He says whilst patting my back. "All your efforts have finally paid off!".

I can now get on with the job I was born to do and boy does it feel good. I beam up at him and I can't help releasing some of my pent up excitement. Before long Im bouncing on my toes and clapping my hands. My enthusiasm finally cracks his resolve and he chuckles at my antics.

My family have served the King since day dot.  We are born gifted grey wolves with varying degrees of talents to serve the king and his justice system in whatever roll matches said gifts. 

We have a natural ability to decipher the truth and a strength that most wolves find intimidating.  I for example can read minds and search for particular memories and the King hasn't had a mind reader in his team or the kingdom for many Centuries.

I am pleased that he's keen to get me started and I can feel my wolf, Blade wagging her tale in excitement too.

My father and brother are blessed with the same gift as each other, they can compel the truth out of supernatural beings and like me they are stronger than average. 

Long before we were but a speck of dust, Our descendants oath with the gods meant that at the age of 18 we each serve 5 years in the realms justice system using our talents to prevent crimes and seek justice for those wronged in a bid to keep peace within the realm and across the wider supernatural world's.

We can hone our skills intensively and without distraction during this time.  Although our whole lives are dedicated to maintaining peace wherever we end up afterwards, we are always at the kings disposal in the unlikely event of another war breaking out.

Most of my kind would be able to meet their mates at the coming of age 18. My mating bond, however, is hibernated to ensure the wolf and body are fully committed to the job without distractions. 

It's a sacrifice that we grey wolves only hope our mates can forgive us for. Given the importance of our job to the King and the supernatural realms, they are usually proud more than anything and the long wait is forgotten.

Once you have served your 5 years the mate bond will activate and draw you to your soul mate like a magnet no matter how far away from you they are.   A reward from the gods for continued service to the King and the loss of the years without your mate by your side.

My family have prevented many wars between the supernatural races and therefore hold the Kings Crest on our pack emblem. Any pack that holds the emblem has the Kings authority and protection, making these packs safer than most and less likely to be attacked.