chapter 32

.......

"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

                      — Harry Burns

 ........

The afternoon sun cast long shadows across the plush living room as Jungkook stirred awake from his nap. He stretched languidly, the silence of the house a stark contrast to the usual lively chatter. He padded down the hallway, his bare feet sinking slightly into the thick carpet, and found himself drawn towards a soft sniffling sound coming from the study.

Peeking through the open doorway, he saw Hyuna, hunched over a massive photo album on the coffee table. Tears streamed down her cheeks, blurring the images of a younger Taehyung, a beaming Hyuna, and a man with a warm smile who looked remarkably like Taehyung. But there was a vacant space, a missing puzzle piece in the otherwise picture-perfect family.

Jungkook stood there for a moment, his heart clenching at the sight of Hyuna's grief. He didn't want to intrude on her private moment, but the raw emotion on her face compelled him to offer comfort. Stepping into the room, he announced his presence softly, "Eomma?"

Hyuna startled, quickly swiping at her tears with the back of her hand. A forced smile stretched across her face as she tried to hide her red-rimmed eyes. "Oh, bun! You're awake. You must be famished. Dinner will be ready soon."

He wasn't fooled. He recognized the practiced smile, the one that masked a storm of emotions. He walked closer, a gentle concern etched on his face. "Eomma, are you alright? Did something happen?"

Hyuna hesitated, her gaze flickering back to the photo album. Then, with a sigh, she closed it, the sound echoing in the stillness of the room. "It's nothing, baby. Just… old memories."

He sat beside her on the plush couch, a comforting weight against her side. "You can talk to me, Eomma. Maybe talking about it will help."

Hyuna dabbed at her eyes again, a flicker of doubt clouding her face. "I don't want to burden you with my troubles, dear."

"You wouldn't be burdening me, Eomma," Jungkook countered earnestly. "If anything, it would help me understand you and hyungie better."

His words seemed to resonate with Hyuna. She took a deep breath, her gaze lingering on the closed photo album. "It's... about Taemin," she whispered, her voice trembling slightly.

Jungkook didn't know anyone of that name so he enquired further"Taemin?"

Hyuna nodded, a tear escaping and tracing a path down her cheek. "He was Taehyung's older brother. He... he passed away in an accident six years ago."

The weight of the revelation settled on Jungkook's shoulders. He couldn't imagine the pain Taehyung and his family must have endured. "Oh, Eomma. I'm so sorry," he murmured, offering a hand to squeeze hers in silent support.

Hyuna squeezed his hand back, a flicker of gratitude in her eyes. "It's alright, bun. It's just... I miss him so much. He was such a wonderful boy, full of life and light. Just like my bear."

She pointed at a picture in the album, partially opened, revealing a younger Taehyung and a boy a few years older, both grinning mischievously at the camera. Taehyung's resemblance to his brother was undeniable. "They were inseparable," Hyuna continued, her voice thick with emotion. "Always getting into trouble together, but always there for each other."