chapter 23

...

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt."

              ~ William Shakespeare
....

The morning sun cast a warm glow on the apartment as Jungkook shuffled around his room, gathering his belongings for his last exam. He'd chosen a baggy sweatshirt and sweatpants, hoping to hide his growing baby bump. The extra weight, now entering its third month, made him feel a mix of self-consciousness and a quiet pride. It was a constant reminder of the angel growing within him.

Taehyung entered the room, a playful smile on his face. "Ready to conquer your last exam, Kookie?" he asked, his voice laced with excitement.

Jungkook managed a weak smile, a familiar knot of anxiety tightening in his stomach. "As ready as I'll ever be," he mumbled, slinging his backpack over his shoulder.

Jimin peeked in from the doorway, two travel mugs in hand. "Here, fuel for your brainpower," he announced, handing Kook a hot chocolate and Tae a steaming mug of coffee.

Jungkook took a grateful sip, the warmth spreading through him, chasing away some of his jitters. As they headed out to the car, the crisp morning air sent a shiver down his spine. He pulled his sweatshirt tighter, thankful for the extra layer.

The drive to college was filled with a comfortable silence. Taehyung focused on the road, while Jungkook gazed out the window, mentally preparing himself for the upcoming exam. Jimin, sensing Jungkook's nervousness, squeezed his hand reassuringly.

"Don't worry, Kookie," he said softly. "You've been studying hard, and you're brilliant. You'll smash this exam!"

Jungkook squeezed Jimin's hand back, a flicker of gratitude warming him. "Thanks, hyung."

The ride to the college was a comfortable one. The cool morning breeze ruffled through the open windows, carrying with it the sweet scent of spring. Jungkook leaned back in his seat, enjoying the familiar sights of the city streets as they zipped towards the campus.

"Hey, Kookie," Taehyung started, glancing at him through the rearview mirror. "Just a heads up, Jiminie and I have two exams later today, so we might be a bit late getting back to the dorm."

"Oh, okay," Jungkook replied, a flicker of disappointment crossing his features. The thought of being alone after the exam made him slightly uneasy.

"Don't worry," Jimin chimed in from the passenger seat. "You can hang out in the library for a while until we're done. It'll be quieter there since it's exam week."

Jungkook hesitated. The thought of staying alone in the library. But the library also wasn't ideal. He hadn't quite gotten comfortable sitting amongst his peers, the whispers and stares still a raw wound.

"Maybe I can just take a cab back to the dorm?" he suggested tentatively. "It'll be quicker than waiting at the library."

Taehyung's expression hardened. "Absolutely not, Kookie. It's not safe for you to be alone, especially at this stage."

Jimin nodded in agreement. "We can't leave you by yourself. What if you need something?"

Jungkook pouted, a playful tactic he knew often worked on his hyungs. "But I'll be fine! Besides, the baby will be with me, so technically I won't be alone."

Taehyung snorted. "That's not the point, Kookie. We're worried about you."

Jungkook batted his eyelashes, giving them his best doe-eyed look. "Aww, hyungs, don't be so overprotective. Think about it, the baby and I can have a little bonding time while you guys are busy with your exams. I can talk to my baby boo and tell them all about how their uncles are freaking out about leaving me alone in the dorm when I have a whole ass ba…," he trailed off, realizing the last part might not be the best choice of words.