Final Act (III)

"Did you know about all this, Ayanokoji-kun?" Her voice was low and a glint of sadness was present. It was evident that she still hasn't processed the betrayal till now.

"If I said no, will you believe me? After all I am from the same class which betrayed you, Ichinose. Let alone the best friend of the guy who carried out everything." I said.

"Does that mean you didn't know anything?" She asked whilst looking at me right in the eye. Her eyes were of desperation, she didn't want to believe that I also played a big role in her downfall. But does my opinion and role really matter to her?

"I didn't know anything. Everything was carried out by Kai and Kai only. Horikita, Hirata heck even his own girlfriend didn't know anything about this. Kai acted on his own in the shadows and worked with Ryuuen to crush both Class C and former Class A." I said. It was true, though I did know about the plan, I don't want to lose my only connection outside the class. That would be disadvantageous.

Lying now should suffice. I just need to make her believe me.

"I see..." Ichinose looked down. It was evident that she hasn't slept in a while, speaking of sleep it's past midnight and from what Kai told me, tomorrow or rather this morning we will get the mail for the next exam.

"Ayanokoji-kun, may I ask you something?" Ichinose said in a soft voice.

"Sure, go ahead. I'll try to answer it if it's in my capabilities." I said.

"Do you think...my goal to reach Class A with no expulsion and teamwork is possible?" Ichinose asked. What a naive mind...

"I wouldn't say it's impossible." Ichinose looked up at me with some light in her eyes. Guess everyone has been telling her the opposite.

"But it is a bit naive and far fetched. Sure this school focuses on co-operation but there are many other factors which can be hazardous for a healthy competition. Ryuuen and Kai, both use these other factors and underhanded tricks which are morally wrong but still...inside the rules. Such guys can only be defeated if you think alike. No expulsions is another fantasy, Ichinose. You may save one or two students from expulsion using private points but at some point you have to let them go. This school is cruel, just like the world we live in. It's not fair. You sometimes have to go to such lengths that you never would want to go but your situation forces you to. Anyone would have to think and act like Ryuuen or Kai in order to throw them off, there's no other way to stop it. Teamwork and Co-operation has many disadvantages, and these demerits are something Kai and Ryuuen use to defeat you or anyone for that matter. They find weakness in your strength. You must sacrifice something in order to achieve your goal Ichinose. Teamwork and Co-operation can lead to victory but not against guys like Kai and Ryuuen." I finished my explanation. This should do it, this way Ichinose can improve and will...dance on my palm. I can gain her trust.

Ichinose just stood bewildered and confused. Seems like she was still processing everything I said. After a few moments she just clenched her fists and looked down.

"I-I see..." She then looked up at me with a small smile.

"You may be right Ayanokoji-kun. But there are some things you won't understand. I learnt many things from your words but I have decided that...

I'll try and try, even if I fall at the rock bottom, I'll still try and prove everyone wrong. My goal may be too naive or impossible, but there's no harm in trying right? I won't give up." In other words, she's ready to sacrifice when needed. That's something good I guess.

"You don't have to take my opinion so seriously Ichinose, afterall I'm just a nobody." Let's see if I have her trust.

"What do you mean by a 'nobody'? You are one of the reasons your class is at the top. Despite the circumstances and relationship of our classes, you decided to help me. For me, you aren't a nobody Ayanokoji-kun. You are my friend so please stop looking down on yourself." Ichinose said.