IX.

"I'm just saying, I'd totally smash if he was real."

Sitting cross-legged on the floor with a bottle of wine in her hand, Cassie journeys through her drunken ramble.

"Bart Simpson?"

Thalia scoffs, facing the light-haired girl and leaning back against the couch, taking a large swig from her bottle.

The clock silently announces the late hour— 3AM. While Finn is sound asleep in his room, Thalia and Cassie have opted for a sleepover in the living room, seated on the soft carpeted floor.

"Yes!" Cassie stands her ground.

A sigh escapes Thalias lips as her gaze falls on the couch behind Cassie, lingering there for a moment before meeting her eyes.

"Cass, can I ask you something?"

"Hit me."

"Did you and Finn ever like... date?"

Cassies eyes momentarily widen at the inquiry. Two heartbeats pass before she emerges into laughter, emitting chortles that resonate through the apartment.

"Oh, you didn't?"

"No, we did." Cassie speaks through her drunken giggles. "It was just a fling, I forgot it even happened."

Thalia nods, choosing to let the subject pass as she swigs at the wine. Reading the slight uneasiness on her face, Cassie clears her throat and speaks again.

"It was nothing, really."

A smile plasters across the brunettes lips, and she simply shrugs her shoulders as to brush it off.

"I know."

The two souls lie on the carpeted floor, gazing up at the ceiling with four bottles of wine lined up amongst them.

"I actually do have a question for you though." Cassie murmurs.

Thalia hums. "Hit me."

"Are you ever gonna move back here?"

"I'm not sure." Thalia sighs, "I can't tell you what the future holds. I love Paris and all my friends back there, but Finn..."

With her trailing off mid-sentence, the room evaporates into a silence which is pierced within a few moments.

"Finn is home."

Cassie can't help but smile, humming under her breath. "You love him?"

"Always have, always will."

"Nice reference."

"Thanks."

The moon retires before they know it. Thalias eyes flutter open, adjusting to the newfound luminescence seeping through the curtains.

She grasps her phone, viewing the time — 6AM.

Sitting up on the velvety cushions of the couch, she glances over to the other sofa to behold Cassie, snoring in deep slumber.

Thalia releases a weary sigh. Whenever she jolts awake in the dead of night or at the break of dawn, slipping back into slumber proves to be an arduous endeavor.