Chapter 43

Mere seconds later, everyone in the cave joined us, the sight of the spear in Ben's chest causing faces to turn queasy.

    His eyes were wide open with fear, blood trickled from the corners of his mouth. The expression on his face was stained with horror.

    "Oh my God," Misty cried and fell into the snow. Akilah put her hand on the blonde's back and crouched down beside her in attempt to comfort her.

    "NO! No!" Misty wailed to the dark sky.

    Nat ran her hands through her hair. Her and Ben were close. They had formed some sort of kinship relationship. Ben was almost father-like to her, he even offered her a chance to run from the group with him.

    Nat's lips quivered and she started breathing heavily.

    "I'm gonna fucking murder you Shipman," she muttered but loud enough so that we could all hear it.

    Shauna, in the back of the group, looked up with large eyes.

    "What?" She hissed.

    "I'm gonna FUCKING KILL YOU!" Nat shouted and lunged at her. Nat knocked her to the ground and threw a punch at Shauna, causing her nose to floor with blood.

    Taissa grabbed the collar of Natalie's coat and pulled her off of Shauna. As soon as Natalie was off, Shauna stood up, her blood not nearly as red as her anger.

    Taissa and Van held Nat's arms as she thrashed to get another blow at Shauna. Shauna stood her ground, brows furrowing at Nat.

    "You think I did this?" Shauna growled.

    "I know you did, you fucking prick! You shot him! You obviously killed him!" Nat yelled.

    "I was in the cave with you!"

    "You could've came back in!"

    "Why don't you ask the psycho and her girlfriend? They were out here before us," Shauna glared at Lottie and I.

    "Who's the psycho and who's the girlfriend?" Mari whispered and Gen hit her.

    "Why were you guys outside in the middle of the night?" Shauna questioned, wiping her nose with her sleeve.

    Tai and Van let Nat go. Nat turned to us with confusion and betrayal in her eyes.

    "We didn't kill him!" I exclaimed, Lottie standing up from her spot on the ground.

    "Why were you out here?" Nat clenched her jaw.

    "We... We were...," I didn't know what to say without looking like an asshole. But I also didn't want to be accused of killing Ben.

    "We didn't do it," Lottie defended us.

    "Why... Were you... Out here?" Nat grumbled.

    "We didn't kill Ben!" I raised my voice.

    "She just doesn't want to admit that they were fucking while Ben was getting his chest pierced," Shauna accused.

    "SHUT UP SHIPMAN!" Nat screamed.

    "We weren't fucking!" I declared, "I... We were just..."

    "Why would it matter if we were?" Lottie questioned.

    "Were you?" Nat asked, quietly.

    Lottie sighed. She looked at Nat with gentle sympathy.

    "No. I asked Taylor to go out in the middle of the night with me so that we could get our minds off everything. We were talking. We heard a... A scream and came running," Lottie explained.