Chapter 30

"During gestation, the fetus receives oxygen and vital nutrients via the blood vessels in the umbilical cord, which attaches to the placenta...," the narration of the video said monotonously.

    Health class was my least favourite subject. Learning about this shit disgusted me to my core, no matter how important it was.

     But despite how gross health class was, I got to sit next to Lottie Matthews for the entirety of it, and that was worth sitting through watching the process of pregnancy on tape.

    "Ew, gross. Why are we watching this?" One of the students complained.

    "Guys. Come on, you got to learn this," Ben insisted. It was weird having our soccer coach teach us about women's bodies, the school should have picked anyone else to substitute Mrs. Murphy's health class.

    "In this fetus, androgens have initiated the development of a phallus and scrotum...," the video continued.

    "Oh, man, is that his dick?" Randy Walsh chortled, "Let's hope he's a grower. Right, Jeff?"

    "God, boys are such fucking children," I whispered to Lottie who snickered in response.

    "Why do you think women have babies? Men would never be able to do it," Lottie giggled and I smiled hearing her melodic laugh.

    "Anybody want this? It's way too small for me. Magnums all day, baby," Randy held up one of the condoms that Ben had passed around to demonstrate how protection works.

    "Oh, gosh, Randy, I mean, if these are really too small for you, then you should probably see
a doctor about that thing," Van teased, wrapping the condom around her hand. Taissa laughed.

    "Jesus Christ that's so gross," I scrunched my nose and Lottie leaned on me.

    "You guys. Shh! Okay? This is important," Misty demanded which caused Randy to scoff.

    "He's the most annoying prick I've ever met," I told Lottie, "I can't wait in a few years to see how he peaked in high school."

    "We'll have to bet money when we go to the high school reunion together," Lottie winked.

    "Don't tell me you think he'll be successful," I groaned.

    "Oh no, I'm betting money to see how many divorces he'll go through before he's 35."

    "Ha ha very funny."

    "You know I'm hilarious," she smirked. 

    "Keep dreaming, Matthews."

    "Please, I can see that smile from miles away," she brushed a finger on the corner of my lip and my face heated up in embarrassment and adoration.

    Our conversation was interrupted as we followed a note from Jeff that was being passed to Shauna. Everyone who noticed seemed quizzical as well.

    "Why did Jeff pass a note to Shauna?" Someone asked quietly and Shauna's head perked up. She quickly crumpled the note up and stood to use the bathroom. As she walked by Jeff's desk, she laid the piece of paper in front of him and said, "Poppies, Jeff. Jackie likes poppies."

    Lottie and I shared a glance, and she shrugged with a smile on her face. Her lips were full and she had a slight dimple on her left cheek that caused me to melt whenever it appeared. My heart started to swoon.