Chapter 39

"Ben lit the cabin on fire?!" Tai exclaimed.

"It's just a theory," Nat said.

"Well, who else would've done it?!" Mari demanded.

"I'm gonna fucking kill him," Shauna muttered under her breath.

"Don't be fucking stupid, Shauna," I groaned, "We should find him and give him a chance to explain."

"What's there to explain? He tried to fucking burn us all alive!" Shauna retaliated.

"Hey! Relax!" Nat shouted at Shauna, "I agree with, Taylor-"

"Of course you do," Shauna rolled her eyes.

"Don't make me fucking hit you, Shipman," Nat sneered, "We should give him a chance to explain this, if it was even him."

"And if he did? What then?" Tai asked.

    "We're not killing him!" Misty cried.

"We imprison him," Van stated.

"Imprison? This isn't like... We don't have a fucking system going," Nat grumbled.

"Don't we?" Lottie disagreed.

    Nat simply glared at Lottie, too frustrated to respond.

    "We're not fucking killing Ben, okay?" Nat repeated.

    "So, what, we can't kill Ben but we can kill Javi?" Travis muttered. His comment raised tension. Nat looked at the ground, shamefully.

    "We didn't kill Javi, Travis, the Wilderness did," Van glared at him. Travis didn't answer.

    "I say we put it to a vote," Shauna declared.

    "Last time I checked, you weren't the fucking leader, Shipman," Nat grumbled, "I am. Okay? What we are gonna do, is first, gather as much stuff that survived the fire as we can, find a new and bigger cave that's closer to here, wait for the police and we'll have a team go out for Ben. A team that will only include people who will not try to kill him. Understood?"

    Nods and mutters of agreement circulated.

    "Good. Now, start grabbing shit."

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

We had foraged a lot of wood, some glass, bullets that didn't get caught in the fire, the door of the plane we had used for the meat shed, and other metal objects. The bathtub was even spared from the flames.

Travis and Nat both dragged the door of the plane through the snow while Lottie held my waist and helped me through the journey.

"How are you feeling?" I whispered to her.

"I don't know. I'm worried about you. I'm worried about Shauna," she responded.

    "Shauna?" I repeated, slightly irritated, "Why?"

    "She's... She's dangerous, Taylor."

    "We're all dangerous, Lot."

    "No, but... Nevermind."

    "Lot, you're my best friend..."

    Wow. I hadn't said that in a while.