Chapter 22

"I can't believe you let Jackie convinced you to host a party that she planned," I told Lottie, pouring chips into a glass bowl.

    "As if I had a choice," Lottie scoffed, but in a playful manner. She was placing bottles of soda on the table that was placed in the middle of her starship couch in her living room, which was almost two times bigger than my own.

    "Touché."

    "Thank you for helping set up, Tay."

    "Of course, Lot. As long as you save a bag of salt and vinegar for just me, I'm more than happy to help."

    "Ha ha, very funny," she rolled her eyes.

    A few days ago, the YellowJackets varsity team list was posted. Jackie Taylor, who was named team captain, decided it would be a great idea for the senior girls on the team to have a team bonding night together.

    Since Lottie had the biggest house, even though both she and Jackie were very rich girls, Jackie insisted that Lottie hosted, and because I offered to help Lottie set up her house and her parents offered to pay for snacks, she agreed.

After finally setting out enough snacks and drinks, Lottie threw her head back and exhaled sharply.

"This better be up to Jackie Taylor standards," she moaned.

"You did great," I came up behind her and hugged her waist. She had too much height on me for me to reach her shoulder with my chin.

She turned around, her cocoa coloured hair following behind her as she flipped her head, and draped her arms around my neck.

"You're too sweet," she grinned, running her nails through my hair. Her ivory knit sweater tickled my cheeks when her sleeves touched my face.

    Despite it being more of a comfy night, Lottie's outfits were still high maintenance. Beneath her expensive knit sweater, she had long, loose washed out jeans and matching thick, knit socks. She looked much more put together than I did, in my baggy grey sweatpants and oversized black t-shirt.

"You look great too," I admitted, cheeks burning.

"Stop, this is my casual outfit."

"Not very casual, Matthews," I smirked and she hit me, sprightly. Her lips pressed against my forehead and I smiled to myself, basking her touch.

    "At least I don't look like I rolled out of bed," she winked.

    "Ah fuck you," I pulled away from her, still grinning.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

    I didn't sleep after we all re entered the cabin. The flesh in my stomach was turning unpleasantly and I felt myself gagging every couple of minutes.

    I joined Nat outside as the sun was rising. Her face was pale and in disbelief as she stared at the pyre. I placed my hand on her shoulder, trying my best to avoid looking at what remained of Jackie.

    "What the fսck? Natalie, Taylor what the fսck is that?!" Taissa wailed from the door, gaping at the pile of human bones that lay carelessly on the burnt wood.

    "What the fսck? What happened?"

    "Hey, don't, don't, don't. No!" Van shouted, rushing behind Taissa as she staggered towards the mess.

    "What happened to Jackie?! Is that Jackie? Nat, what happened?!" Tai cried.

    "Tai! Tai, it's okay. It's okay. It's okay. It's okay," Van tried to reassure her.