21

"We need to talk."

Onika was pulled out of her state of solitude by the monotone voice coming from the person standing before her.

It was currently a free period and she'd decided to spend it in the library since she didn't really know a lot of places in the school yet and also the fact that she'd loved reading.

It was always a comfort for her.. getting immersed in the world of books and just being able to feel and put herself in the places of the characters.

She'd always dreamed of her own fairytale ending yet that all seemed so far fetched.

Feeling herself begin to get nervous and her hands get sweaty, she wipes it against her sweatpants.

Beyoncé could've at least smiled a little. She was making her extremely anxious the way she was so straight faced.

Onika just nods in response not having the voice and or courage to give a vocal reply.

"Let's leave this place since we're not really allowed to talk in here." Beyoncé then says digging her hands in the pocket of her jeans as she watched Onika clumsily and nervously pack up her things.

They walk in uncomfortable silence for about three minutes with Beyoncé leading the way until they'd finally ended up before an empty classroom.

It was dusty and looked unused..

"It's the old art room no one really comes in here since it was moved to the other building." Beyoncé says noticing Onika's expression.

She refrains from taking a seat on one of the dusty seats and instead goes to lean on the wall facing the timid girl.

The floor had never been more interesting to Onika in this moment neither had her beat up sneakers.

It was dead silent for a long moment with Beyoncé really taking her time to analyze Onika. She was now confused on why she hadn't even noticed her at first.

She still had those same chubby cheeks she had when she was a kid and looked almost the same just more mature and well... curvy.

Onika in her own sense held her breath in anticipation. Beyoncé might not have realized it but she was extremely intimidating.

She was also really really gorgeous. Yeah when they were children Onika thought Beyoncé was the most beautiful person she'd ever seen but this this was different. Teenage Beyoncé was just a whole nother level of beautiful and honestly that wasn't helping.. at all.

"I called you..."

The sound of Beyoncé's voice was what had cut the thick silence in the room causing Onika to look up at her pained expression.

"For years actually but you never replied.. not once. Not once! Did you reply or call me back. You promised to call me everyday!" Onika was willing to explain things to Beyoncé but the girl wasn't even giving her space to talk.. or at least not until she'd finished what she wanted to say.

"Do you know how I felt when your dad replied one day telling me you got a new best friend and didn't want to speak with me—?"

"It's not true." Onika mumbles out.

"But you didn't call how the hell am I supposed to know if it was true or not?!" Beyoncé's voice suddenly gets louder and upon Onika's flinching back she realized maybe she was being unnecessarily harsh in her approach "I'm sorry. But really why didn't you call? Even if you didn't have a phone you could've found a way.."

"I..I wanted to.." Onika says beginning to feel extremely scared. Scared of what Beyoncé's reaction would be. Scared that Beyoncé would think she wasn't making any sense and find her explanation stupid.

"So why didn't you? We were supposed to be best friends."

"I–I wasn't allowed to." Onika stutters out something she struggled with a lot whenever she felt anxious "My.. my dad wouldn't let me."

"What'd you mean he wouldn't let you?"

"He said n-not to speak to you. He said it would only remind me of the p-past." Onika says leaving out important details. Her father had already threatened her to the point she was extremely scared of anyone finding out about what happens at home.

He'd kill her.

"So your father just told you not to talk to me and you didn't? I was that unimportant huh?"

"No!" Onika says shocking herself with how loud it came out "I mean no. You're not unimportant, he— we didn't have a family phone and h-he never let me touch his so I couldn't really call. H-he put me in homeschool so y'know I didn't really have a lot of p-people to borrow phones from.." Onika rushes out nervously.

At least that part was true.

Beyoncé was still silent.. "You're seventeen. You can't tell me you don't have a phone."

"I don't."

Beyoncé had to look over at Onika to see if she was really saying the truth and her eyes read nothing but sincerity... "Damn..." She'd never met a teenager without a phone.

Was it even possible for someone to be without the internet?

"Well I guess I was being a.. little harsh." Beyoncé mumbles "but it did really hurt me."

"Sorry. I wouldn't ever i-intentionally do it." Onika mumbles shifting on her feet anxiously before looking up at Beyoncé.

The taller girl slowly inches towards the younger one making her shift back a little in fear. She knew not to be scared of Beyoncé.. she'd never do anything to hurt her. She knew that but she couldn't really help it. It'd become an impulse action for her.

Slowly and tentatively the taller girl wraps the younger one in a hug. Inhaling her scent. She missed this and although she was still a bit down that they didn't get to spend a lot of years together she was just happy that they'd reunited.

Onika had explained things to her and hopefully they could start their relationship at fresh and be back friends.. even if not best friends.

Onika in her own right was shocked that Beyoncé even hugged her, yet that didn't stop her from melting into the hug. She did miss the girls hugs. They always made her feel safe when they were kids and honestly speaking not much had changed.

Maybe except the fact that now her heart was beating a mile a minute at her close proximity and her stomach was feeling a little funny.

"P.s You look really good." Beyoncé mumbles which causes Onika to blush heavily.

"... You look better."

_____

Thoughts? 🤭

Beyoncé?

Onika?

Their little make up?

The chapter?

Future predictions?

Vote, Comment and Share 🫶🏾

Follow me if you like the booook 💐💐