two

My reputation's never been worse
So you must like me for me

My reputation's never been worseSo you must like me for me

[ chapter two - public enemy number one ]

For once in what felt like forever, all eight demigods managed to sit down for breakfast at the same time.

Apparently during the time that Cassandra had been in Tartarus, Piper had managed to wake Festus the bronze dragon up with her charmspeak, and he was more than capable of running the ship by himself.

Seeing as he could navigate, check the radar, make a super tasty pineapple smoothie, and spew burning hot jets of fire at any invaders all at the same time, without even blowing a circuit, they decided that having someone man the helm wasn't necessary.

Plus, they had Budford the Wonder Table for backup.

After Coach Hedge had left for his shadow-travel expedition, Leo had decided that his three-legged table should take over the responsibility of being their adult chaperone. His idea of that was installing a hologram of Coach Hedge who would stomp around on Budford's top and randomly yell things like "I'M GONNA KILL YOU" or "PUT SOME CLOTHES ON!"

So, yeah. Cassandra was confident that if Festus's flames didn't scare the monsters away, the holographic version of Hedge would.

And if a monster did happen to make it on board, Small Bob the saber-toothed tiger wouldn't hesitate to sink his teeth into their neck.

The cat had simply been roaming around the ship the past few days, exploring the various areas and finding hiding spots, but Annabeth said that she and Hazel had been taking turns feeding him, and he would sometimes walk into Cassandra's room and lie by her side as she tried not to scream from pain because of her curse.

She noticed Leo standing in the doorway as she grabbed a cup, that magically filled with coffee. He seemed to be surveying the scene around them.

Frank and Hazel were using their cereal bowls to flatten out a map of Greece. They were looking over it, their heads close together. Occasionally, Frank would cover Hazel's hand with his own, like an old married couple from the 50's.

What surprised Cassandra was how unflustered Hazel seemed about it (even if she still nearly fainted every time someone even mutter gosh darn, and practically fainted every time Cassandra said anything slightly above that).

At the head of the table, Jason was sitting uncomfortably with his T-shirt rolled up to his rib-cage as Piper changed his bandages.

The gladius he'd been stabbed with had pierced all the way through, leaving an ugly and steaming shade of purple entrance wound on his back.

Piper seemed to be doing a decent job at staying positive, but Cassandra could tell she was worried. The ambrosia, nectar, and salves Cassandra applied were only helping so much. But there wasn't much anyone could do for a wound from a weapon that was literally made to dissolve a demigod's essence.