one

Sometimes when I look into your eyes
I pretend you're mine all the damn time

Sometimes when I look into your eyesI pretend you're mine all the damn time

[ chapter one - delicate ]

When Percy was younger, he used to wake up in the middle of the night to find his mother standing at the doorway of his room, watching him sleep with a light smile on her face, before she would close his door and walk back to her bedroom to go to bed herself.

And when he was younger, he remembered thinking that it was weird. Strange even. He remembered asking why she used to do it.

But, now...

Now, watching her sleep, sunlight creeping through the gaps in her curtains and casting a warm golden light over her face, he could understand why his mother has used to do it.

Because it was comforting to see Cassie like this—her face free of any anxiety or anger or grief, and her body free of any tension or pain or stress. Comforting to see her so content—so at peace.

It was even more comforting to know that she was truly here. Not in Tartarus. Not a vague memory in the back of his mind that he couldn't be entirely sure was real.

She was here. Next to him. Sleeping. Safe.

He studied her features—the way her lips were slightly parted as took deep and even breaths, the way her eyelashes laid against her cheeks, hiding those beautiful blue eyes he felt like he could drown in if he looked at them long enough, and the strands of her light blonde hair strewn over the pillow beside him and her face.

His eyes traced that faint scar on her face, that she'd gained two years ago. And he counted the barely visible freckles sprinkled across her cheeks—the tiny dots so faint, he hadn't noticed them until she'd kissed him at Mount St. Helens.

Beautiful, he thought to himself, brushing the single gray strand she'd gained after holding the sky off of her forehead.

"You're such a stalker" Cassie murmured, shifting slightly. "I should really report you to the police."

"Good morning to you too, my lovely target" Percy said sarcastically.

She opened one of her eyes to shoot him a look. "And now you're admitting to it? Wow, you're really improving the amount of evidence I have here. Before it would've just been he-said, she-said, but now? Now I have a direct admission of guilt."

He rolled his eyes. "It's not like I can help it, Snow Queen. You're just so magnetic and spunky and—"

"Oh, shut up" She muttered, rubbing her eyes and laughing lightly. "You're such an idiot, you know that?"

"You like me anyways."

"Unfortunately" Cassie said with a sigh. She opened her eyes, blinking at the amount of light. "Has Annabeth left yet?"