xv. aeolus

"even zeus understands the order of things."

For a minute, no one spoke. Jason and Thalia faced each other in shock. And then, Thalia rushed forward and hugged him.

"My gods! She told me you were dead!" She gripped Jason's face and seemed to be taking in every minuscule detail of it. "Thank Artemis, it is you. That little scar on your lip—you tried to eat a stapler when you were two!"

Cassandra snorted. Leo also laughed. "Seriously?"

Hedge nodded in approval. "Staplers—excellent source of iron."

"W—wait" Jason stammered. "Who told you I was dead? What happened?"

At the entrance to the cave, one of the white wolves barked. Thalia looked back at the wolf and nodded, but she kept her hands on Jason's face, like if she didn't, he would disappear. "My wolf is telling me I don't have much time, and she's right. But we have to talk. Let's sit."

Piper literally collapsed onto the ground. She probably would've cracked her head open, if Hedge hadn't caught her.

Thalia rushed over. "What's wrong with her? Ah—never mind. Hypothermia. Ankle." She frowned at the satyr. "Don't you know nature healing?"

Hedge scoffed. "Why do you think she looks this good? Can't you smell the Gatorade?"

Thalia shot Leo an accusatory glare. "You and the satyr" she ordered, "take this girl to my friend at the entrance. Phoebe's an excellent healer."

"It's cold out there!" Hedge said. "I'll freeze my horns off."

"Come on, Coach" Leo said. "These two need time to talk."

"Humph. Fine" The satyr muttered. "Didn't even get to brain anybody."

Hedge carried Piper toward the entrance. Leo turned to follow when Jason called, "Actually, man, could you, um, stick around?"

Leo grinned. "Sticking around is my specialty."

"I'm going to go help Pheebs" Cassandra said, picking up her pack. "I haven't seen her in ages. Well, not since I snuck out of camp to go on the quest she was supposed to be on. And you two need to catch up."

"Plus" She muttered as she walked off toward the entrance, "sticking around has never been my specialty."

╰┈ ⋆。˚ ❀ *· 🌬 ࿐ ࿔ ˚:⋆ ✧・゚

Phoebe and Cassandra had set up the silver tent pavilion right outside the cave. Inside was a kerosene heater keeping everyone warm, and a bunch of comfy throw pillows. By the time Thalia, Jason, and Leo exited the cave, they had Piper feeling brand new, decked out in a new parka, gloves, and camo pants. Her, Phoebe, and Hedge were all kicking back and drinking hot chocolate.

Cassandra was drinking hot chocolate, but she definitely wasn't kicking back. She sat tensely by the fire, staring into the flames blankly.

"Oh, no way" Leo said. "We've been sitting in a cave and you get the luxury tent? Somebody give me hypothermia. I want hot chocolate and a parka!"

"I'll gladly give you hypothermia, Valdez" Cassandra stated. "Just say the magic words."

"Actually... uh, now that you say it, I'm good" Leo muttered.

Phoebe sniffed. "Boys."

"It's all right, Phoebe" Thalia said. "They'll need extra coats. And I think we can spare some chocolate."

Phoebe grumbled, but soon Leo and Jason were also dressed in silvery winter clothes like Piper.

"Cheers!" Coach Hedge said. He crunched down his plastic thermos cup.