ix. meetings

"I promised bianca that I would protect him."

"Oh...You are in so much trouble."

Cassandra quickly opened her eyes to see daylight streaming in through the glass panel on the floor. She pushed herself up to a sitting position, to find Frank standing in the doorway of the stables, looking completely terrified.

"What...?" Percy rubbed his eyes from beside her. "Oh, we just fell asleep."

Frank swallowed. He was dressed in running shoes, dark cargo pants, and a Vancouver Winter Olympics t-shirt with his Roman centurion badge pinned to the neck. Frank averted his eyes as if the sight of the two of them together might burn him.

"Everyone thinks you've been kidnapped" He said. "We've been scouring the ship. When Coach Hedge finds out—oh, gods, you've been here all night?"

"Frank!" Cassandra said, her insides feeling like they were about to shrivel up in embarrassment. "We came down here to talk. We accidentally fell asleep. Nothing else happened."

"We only kissed once" Percy added.

She turned to glare at him. "Not helping, Jackson!"

"We'd better..." Frank pointed to the stable doors. "Uh, we're supposed to meet for breakfast. Would you explain what you did—I mean didn't do? I mean...I really don't want that faun—I mean satyr—to kill me."

Frank ran.

When everyone finally gathered in the mess hall, it didn't seem as bad as Frank had feared. Jason and Piper just seemed relieved. Leo couldn't stop grinning and muttering, "Classic. Classic." Annabeth held a knowing look on her face, clearly holding back a smile. Only Hazel seemed scandalized, most likely because she was from the 1940's. She kept fanning her face and refused to meet any of their eyes.

Naturally, Coach Hedge went ballistic.

"Never in my life!" Coach bellowed, waving his bat and knocking over a plate of apples. "Against the rules! Irresponsible!"

"Oh my gods!" Cassandra said in annoyance. "We didn't have sex in the fucking horse stables. I know that I'm practically insane, but I do have standards."

Hazel gasped. Piper's mouth dropped open. Annabeth snorted into her hand.

"Besides" Percy said, "you're starting to sound like Terminus."

Hedge narrowed his eyes. "Is that an insult, Jackson? 'Cause I'll—I'll terminus you, buddy!"

Percy held back a laugh. "It won't happen again, Coach. I promise. Now, don't we have other things to discuss?"

Hedge fumed. "Fine! But I'm watching you, Jackson. And you, Cassandra Regalia, I expected better—"

So did everybody else, she thought. But instead you get...this.

Jason cleared his throat. "So grab some food, everybody. Let's get started."

╰┈ ⋆。˚ ❀ *· 🌬 ࿐ ࿔ ˚:⋆ ✧・゚

The meeting was like a war council with donuts. But then again, back at Camp they used to have their most serious discussions around a Ping-Pong table in the rec room with crackers and Cheez Whiz, so this wasn't too out of the ordinary.

Percy told them about his dream—the giants twins planning a reception for them in an underground parking lot with rocket launchers; Nico di Angelo trapped in a bronze jar, slowly dying from asphyxiation with pomegranate seeds at his feet.