viii. pulse

"the only thing that matters, is that I've got you back."

After Leo had made sure Coach Hedge wouldn't steer them to the nearest military base 'for fun', he gave the satyr the helm.

The gathered around the dining table and Piper explained what had happened at the mile marker—their conversation with Bacchus, the trap sprung by Gaea, Cassandra disappeared, and the eidolons that had possessed the boys.

"Of course!" Hazel slapped the table, which startled Frank so much, he dropped his burrito. "That's what happened to Leo too."

"So it wasn't my fault" Leo exhaled. "I didn't start World War Three. I just got possessed by an evil spirit. That's a relief!"

"The Romans don't know that" Cassandra reminded him, examining her half-eaten sandwich that no longer seemed appetizing. "And they have no reason to take our word for it."

"We could contact Reyna" Jason suggested. "She would believe us." Jason looked at Piper. "You could convince her, Pipes. I know you could."

Piper turned pale. Annabeth looked at her sympathetically. Hazel winced. And even Cassandra rolled her eyes, and shot Jason an annoyed look.

"I could try" Piper said halfheartedly. "But Octavian is the one we have to worry about. In my dagger blade, I saw him taking control of the Roman crowd. I'm not sure Reyna can stop him."

Jason's expression darkened. Hazel and Frank nodded in agreement.

"She's right" Frank said. "This afternoon when we were scouting, we saw eagles again. They were a long way off, but closing fast. Octavian is on the warpath."

Hazel grimaced. "This is exactly the sort of opportunity Octavian has always wanted. He'll try to seize power. If Reyna objects, he'll say she's soft on the Greeks. As for those eagles...It's like they could smell us."

"They can" Jason said. "Romans eagles can hunt demigods by their magical scent even better than monsters can. This ship might conceal us somewhat, but not completely—not from them."

Leo drummed his fingers. "Great. I should have installed a smoke screen that makes the ship smell like a giant chicken nugget. Remind me to invent that, next time."

Hazel frowned. "What is a chicken nugget?"

"Oh, man..." Leo shook his head in amazement. "That's right. You've missed the last like, seventy years. Well, my apprentice, a chicken nugget—"

"Doesn't matter" Annabeth interrupted. "The point is, we'll have a hard time explaining the truth to the Romans. Even if they believe us—"

"You're right." Jason leaned forward. "We should just keep going. Once we're over the Atlantic, we'll be safe—at least from the legion."

"How can you be sure?" Piper asked. "Why wouldn't they follow us?"

Jason shook his head. "You heard Reyna talking about the ancient lands. They're much too dangerous. Roman demigods have been forbidden to go there for generations. Even Octavian couldn't get around that rule."

Frank swallowed a bite of burrito like it had turned to cardboard in his mouth. "So, if we go there."

"We'll be outlaws as well as traitors" Jason confirmed. "Any Roman demigod would have the right to kill us on sight. But I wouldn't worry about that. If we get across the Atlantic, they'll give up on chasing us. They'll assume that we'll die in the Mediterranean—the Mare Nostrum."

Percy pointed his slice of pizza at Jason. "You, sir, are a ray of sunshine."

Jason didn't argue.

The rest of the demigods stared at their plates, except for Percy, who continued to enjoy his pizza.