viii. warehouse

"be careful. she never forgets an insult"

Back in the entry hall, Cal and Leo were waiting for them. Leo looked like he was freezing, but he seemed unharmed. He'd even cleaned up a little bit, and his clothes seemed freshly washed. Festus was back in his normal dragon form, snorting fire over his scales to keep himself from freezing.

As Khione led them down the stairs, Cassandra couldn't help but notice Leo's eyes following her. He even started combing his hair back with his hands.

Cassandra's face scrunched up in disgust.

At the bottom step, Khione turned to Piper. "You have fooled my father girl. But you have not fooled me. We are not done. And you, Jason Grace, I will see you as a statue in the throne room soon enough."

"Boreas is right" Jason said. "You're a spoiled kid. See you around, ice princess."

Khione's eyes flashed pure white. She seemed at a loss for words, and stormed back up the stairs—literally. Halfway up, she turned into a blizzard and disappeared.

"Be careful" Zethes warned. "She never forgets an insult."

Cal grunted in agreement. "Bad sister."

"She's the goddess of snow" Jason said. "What's she going to do, throw snowballs at us?"

"Never underestimate a goddess, Jason" Cassandra said. "Especially not my mother."

Leo looked devastated. "What happened up there? You made her mad? Is she mad at me too? Guys, that was my prom date!"

Cassandra laughed and rolled her eyes. "In your wildest dreams, Valdez."

"We'll explain later" Piper promised, but glanced at Jason and Cassandra as if expecting them to explain.

Jason looked away from Piper. "Yeah" He agreed, "we'll explain later."

"Be careful, pretty girl" Zethes said. "The winds between here and Chicago are bad-tempered. Many other evil things are stirring. I am sorry you will not be staying. You would make a lovely ice statue, in which I could check my reflection."

"Thanks" Piper said. "But I'd sooner play hockey with Cal."

"Hockey?" Cal's eyes lit up.

"Joking" Piper said. "And the storm winds aren't our worst problem, are they?"

"Oh, no" Zethes agreed. "Something else. Something worse."

"Worse" Cal echoed.

"Can you tell me?" Piper gave them a charming smile.

This time, her charmspeak didn't work. The Boreads shook their heads in unison. The hangar doors opened onto a freezing starry night, and Festus the dragon stomped his feet, anxious to fly.

"Ask Aeolus what is worse" Zethes said darkly. "He knows. Good luck."

He almost sounded like he cared about what happened to them.

Cal patted Leo on the shoulder. "Don't get destroyed" He said. "Next time—hockey. Pizza."

"Come on, guys." Jason stared out at the dark, looking anxious. "Let's go to Chicago and try not to get destroyed."

╰┈ ⋆。˚ ❀ *· 🌬 ࿐ ࿔ ˚:⋆ ✧・゚

As they flew away from Quebec, Cassandra, Piper, and Jason took turns explaining what had happened in the throne room (but it was mostly Jason).

Cassandra fiddled with her camp necklace, in an attempt to calm her nerves.

It wasn't doing a very good job.